Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Watch this to the end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVuIU...layer_embedded
Old 02-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whew! I just checked on the google maps satellite image and our dock looks fine.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Do most people run bubblers under the docks and lifts there? What is the usual winter temps in LOTO?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
Do most people run bubblers under the docks and lifts there? What is the usual winter temps in LOTO?
No, unfortunately they don't, I wish they did.
In temps like this, mine runs 16 out of the 24 hours a day, two hours on and one off to keep my dock and hoist clear.

It would be much easier on my stuff if both cheaper F...ers on either side of me would have one, but they're tight A$$E$.

I think right now the water is around mid to upper 30s, that's friggin' cold.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was out fishing Sat and Sun and the water temp was 34.4-34.7. I'd expect the lake to re-freeze with these subzero temps tonight.

On the de-icers, I have thermostat that has both a water and air sensor; when both are in the zone the de-icers kick on. It's on it's 6th winter and works perfectly.

Here is a video of a collapsed dock in Porto Cima: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mLSx...ayer_embedded#

Last edited by omerta one; 02-02-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by omerta one
I was out fishing Sat and Sun and the water temp was 34.4-34.7. I'd expect the lake to re-freeze with these subzero temps tonight.

On the de-icers, I have thermostat that has both a water and air sensor; when both are in the zone the de-icers kick on. It's on it's 6th winter and works perfectly.

Here is a video of a collapsed dock in Porto Cima: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mLSx...ayer_embedded#
Hey Tom,

Is there a correlation between the number of boats in the slips and how the docks fair?

Seems like most damage is normally to larger community style docks that have several of the slips with boats left in them. Likewise, those docks with fewer boats in the slips seem to be floating higher and fairing better. I would think that an empty slip with a lift in the raised position would add buoyancy but I'm no expert.

I am just glad they shoveled our docks off in time and that my boat is inside.

I told my wife last night that we are buying a couple snowmobiles before next winter. I guess Al gore was wrong after all LOL..
Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

The docks that didn't fair well a few years ago were not properly cross-braced.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I know nobody wants to deal with the Bullcrap of having dock/boat problems and I pay a lot of money for insurance for my dock and boat, geez isn't that why you've got it.

I slept really well the other night when it was snowing, if there's a problem with either of them I'll get it fixed or buy another one, life's too short to worry about this stuff all the time.

JMO

Last edited by 314joey; 02-03-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobonthis
If they put all the boats in storage that are at LOTO then there would be no room left in the town. It would be a town of pole barns!lol

When I lived at loto I didnt see snow. Here is something that I cant believe nobody has thought of though. Why not mount a heater or two up near the tops of the docks? I mean especiallly the resorts!? We can put fans..tvs..etc..why not a heater or thermal heat? It would only have to be used I am guessing once or twice a year at most but could save you thousands. It could easily be done.. I used to do electric there and wired up lands end and the boat docks. It wouldnt be very hard.

http://www.warmzone.com/roof-ice-dam.asp
This is a very unaffordable system. For the 2 systems that are available one is a heating element that mounts to the underside of the panel which costs $25.00 per' and then you have to build a box around it to insulate it so the heats is not lost. The other system is a cable that runs every 18" to 24" on top of the roof and costs $5.00 per'. This price does not include labor for the install and labor to the electrician to wire it into the box. They are both low volt systems which use little electric but would cost tens of thousands to install.

I have researched products and tried to find an affordable solution but yet to find one. Once I do everyone will know it and I will be happy to install it for them. I own a construction company in St. Louis and have done many projects at the lake, I also own a condo on the lake and have worried about this problem for awhile. If there is an affordable product out there I will find it.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by shinglman
This is a very unaffordable system. For the 2 systems that are available one is a heating element that mounts to the underside of the panel which costs $25.00 per' and then you have to build a box around it to insulate it so the heats is not lost. The other system is a cable that runs every 18" to 24" on top of the roof and costs $5.00 per'. This price does not include labor for the install and labor to the electrician to wire it into the box. They are both low volt systems which use little electric but would cost tens of thousands to install.

I have researched products and tried to find an affordable solution but yet to find one. Once I do everyone will know it and I will be happy to install it for them. I own a construction company in St. Louis and have done many projects at the lake, I also own a condo on the lake and have worried about this problem for awhile. If there is an affordable product out there I will find it.
Good to know. I am sure its unaffordable for most. I was thinking more of the resorts and dock rental places. Couldnt imagine what they pay out or what mess they get in when docks sink and boats get damaged or go under. If you ever figure something out and need a worker at LOTO..let me know! I would do anything to live back at the lake!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.