Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Midwest
Support Your Troops PR - LOTO >

Support Your Troops PR - LOTO

Notices

Support Your Troops PR - LOTO

Old 06-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

I am in total agreement!, But I still think the big picture is being missed.

The event is great for the lake, the participants and troops.

But by making a couple of simple changes to the route, ie, closing down the lake for the start of the event, it would give the best of everything people are there to see, the spectators as well as the participants. This would also be the very best way to have a safe event.

I just think intimidation is the WRONG way to to promote safety and enthusiasm, Positive reinforcement and education leads to better tourism, and a better economy for the lake.

The best part, my suggestion costs absolutly zero to impliment.

I am not saying anyone really wants to listen, but it is a suggestion...
Old 06-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bajaholic - I don't disagree with your comment and IMO you could be on to something. However, I would imagine it would be difficult to get the regulatory agencies (MO WP) to make the effort to establish something similar to your proposal. It is more than likely much easier for and more financially beneficial to the MO WP to implement a speed limit for the event to elevate safety precautions and apply ticketing to those who do not follow. I still think it is a great event and believe the organizers are doing a great job promoting , scheduling and permitting the event.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bajaholic
I am in total agreement!, But I still think the big picture is being missed.

The event is great for the lake, the participants and troops.

But by making a couple of simple changes to the route, ie, closing down the lake for the start of the event, it would give the best of everything people are there to see, the spectators as well as the participants. This would also be the very best way to have a safe event.

I just think intimidation is the WRONG way to to promote safety and enthusiasm, Positive reinforcement and education leads to better tourism, and a better economy for the lake.

The best part, my suggestion costs absolutly zero to impliment.

I am not saying anyone really wants to listen, but it is a suggestion...
I agree with you. the event is great for everyone involved. I think everyone will respect the rules this year and the event will go over great and will be done again next year. this event is becoming nationally recognized and is ran and promoted by true oat and charity lovers.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kellyshooty
Is it true a 70mph speed limit will be enforced by tickets and arrests
Last year the speed limit was 60 mph, this year WP asked us to do the event on Friday and gave us another 10mph. Let's not find out they plan on enforcing it, how many tickets they can issue and if they are legal. We are asking everyone to take it easy on Friday during the run and return back to the dock Friday night at Dog Days to have dinner together. If you have ever heard the remarks made by the military members that went for boat rides, what Operation Home Front has done with the money raised or seen the look on the eyes of the boat owners that gave them rides on the run you would come back every year regardless if they made us stay off plane.

If you are new to the run please introduce yourself on Thursday night to me, it's always nice to put a name to a face. My wife and I got nine banners hung up on Friday and I'm getting stoked about the run. We have people on the way from MN and TX that we only get to see a few times a year. Hope to see as many new faces as possible Thursday night at H. Toad at the 7mm.
Attached Thumbnails Support Your Troops PR - LOTO-dsc09215-large-.jpg  
Old 06-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered

Eddie - I agree with your comment. In addition, I would love to meet you & say hi. it looks like you guys as organizers do a fabulous job for this run and the benefits it provides.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bajaholic
Many times, what people hear and what is true is two completely different things...

There was a couple of tickets issued weeks after the event, but they were found to not be prosecutable, it was much more political than enforcement!

My guess the arrest that may have been associated to any tickets, were for fail to appear, not because of the actual non existant arrest... Just missing the court date.
Not exactly! The one boat that was ticketed went to court was "prosecuted". Got a speed limit imposed onto him personally as part of the "sentence". Heard it from the horses mouth!

But either way, there will be boats running over 70, you can count on it.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

What I heard was 4 tickets, correct? and only one was actually found guilty of the "ticketed" charge was the one that didn't show up for any of the hearings, and MAY have had an issue with the non-appearance? But hey, in many cases: "I heard" can have 46 variations of the same story, so my version may not even be close, Personally I wasn't one of the "People", Thank goodness!

I still want to make it clear... For me, on this issue, it is not worth the hassle to fight the system, I just feel there are better alternatives that everyone could find acceptable in the year's to come.

We are VERY much in support of everything the MWBP crew is doing, it is a great event and we are proud to be part of it, in years past and years to come!

Last edited by bajaholic; 06-13-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other ticketed boat.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Registered

Let me throw my .02 in here.
I got several calls from the WP after our last event. They wanted a face to face meeting before they would issue another permit for this years event.

Over the winter we sat down with the WP and they explained their concerns and we explained ours. They are in a tough spot. When they issue any regatta permit, it says right on the permit, that a 60mph speed limit is in effect. This has never really been an issue, as most people run on the lake the same way they run every weekend when there is no speed limit.
What happened last year, is that one very vocal, local resident filmed and copied youTube videos of some of the 150mph + boats and proceeded to flood the WP's inbox with these and messages about how they weren't enforcing their own rules.

We explained that with a True 60mph speed limit, we really can't put on a poker run, as no one will show up if they think they're going to get a ticket for going 61.

The WP agreed to 70 and stated that they're not out to ruin the event, in fact they support the event and are happy we are hosting it again at the lake for the military charity. They do have a job to do which is keep the lake safe. They said that they are not going to harass someone that hits 75, but if you decide to run 150 down the lake, then they are probably not only going to stop you, but it will be the end of poker runs for us and probably poker runs in general at the lake.

I truly believe that if everyone just uses a bit of common sense this won't be an issue at all. This is a great event that raises a ton of money for a great cause. Its a fantastic opportunity for a lot of people at the lake to get to see amazing hardware, and for us to be ambassadors for power boating.

The last thing we want is an accident or for someone to get hurt, we also would hate to have this event canceled in the future, and this is our opportunity to show the locals and the water patrol that poker runs can continue to be held at LOTO in a safe manner that still provides a great day of boating for everyone.

Hope that clears up a few things. Hope to see you all there!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

That was a mouthful. Good to know all the info behind the probation and or stronger speed enforcement. Still will be a great event for the cause. See everybody next Thurs.
Should burn a lot less fuel this time around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.