Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Midwest
LOTO 12ft waves WP measured leaving Party Cove July 4 weekend >

LOTO 12ft waves WP measured leaving Party Cove July 4 weekend

Notices

LOTO 12ft waves WP measured leaving Party Cove July 4 weekend

Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

I have been everywhere in that lake at about any time with a 24' Sea Ray Sundeck (a couple of boats ago). You have to pay attention and be a decent driver, but it was not a problem. That said, it is only really rough at certain times, so just come down and enjoy the lake!

Originally Posted by fountain4play
It was five or six year's ago when a 31' cruiser was swamped and went down bow first right at the entrance to the cove... A lady was down in the front berth and when it took on water from an open hatch on the deck, she was trapped as it went down...
These were the folks that lost power and instead of hitting the rocks, the threw out an anchor. Where they really failed is that they tied the anchor off on the corner of the STERN. Of course a tight rope at the bottom of a swell did not allow the boat to come up with the swell and it piled the water in very, very quickly. I don't look at this as a rough water accident as much as I look at it as an error in judgement due to lack of experience.

Like I say, there is plenty of lake for everybody to enjoy, so just use your head and you will be fine.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The biggest I saw this past weekend was maybe some 6's and that is about as big I have ever seen at LOTO. There should be some good video out there of me lauching off the 5-6 wake of a Blue Water last week. There were about 30 peeps on it and a few were shooting video.
I have heard that a few 63 Sea Rays can throw a 10'-12' wake, but never seen it.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prewitt used to have one of the over 60 fter Sea Ray's and when it was plowing it unleashed some mighty waves.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1989force
I think that they must have used the measuring device that came with the standard issue "EXTENDS" industrial strength formula Male Enhancement pills, that would surely explain the adding of a few non-existent inches, I mean feet of wave .......
Are you saying the LOTO water patrol guys are compensating for a... You know, I have thought that on a number of occasions.

I have been the DD in a 23'er leaving the party cove on holiday weekends more than once and it definitely was a ride, but 12' seems REALLY BIG.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered

On a serious note,the first time I took my 265 out on LOTO I really underestimated the size of the wake of a big express cruiser that I was overtaking,chopped the throttle, and fell off the front of the wave far enough to bury the bow and put a good deal of the lake over the portside windshield. That was a attention getter, I'm hear to tell you. You really just have to pay attention.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered

The worst I've ever seen on LOTO is when we had to go between a 57 Carver and Miller time on a holiday weekend. Even they werent 12', maybe 7-8'. I took water over the bow on that one, felt good in July and didn't knock over anything from the bar...
Old 07-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe it's just me but I think some people are REALLY overstating wave height. I've spent a ton of time on the water including long trips 100+ miles off shore and even there 12 foot is big so not to sure I'm buying seeing that on a lake. I've been around a ton of 130+ footers and even them running for all they're worth is NOT 12' a true 6' maybe but that's 130+ footers not 60' sea rays and 57' carvers. I've got a 46 carver and sure it puts out a swell but it's more of an honest 3' when I'm plowing but even that may be stretching it.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by mlb75
maybe it's just me but I think some people are REALLY overstating wave height. I've spent a ton of time on the water including long trips 100+ miles off shore and even there 12 foot is big so not to sure I'm buying seeing that on a lake. I've been around a ton of 130+ footers and even them running for all they're worth is NOT 12' a true 6' maybe but that's 130+ footers not 60' sea rays and 57' carvers. I've got a 46 carver and sure it puts out a swell but it's more of an honest 3' when I'm plowing but even that may be stretching it.
What happens on LOTO is an intersecting of cruiser waves from different directions and you get these "holes" in the water that can be pretty deep. Not a true wave but the depth from top to bottom can easily be 6' +.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Or when you're plowing in your 46 Carver and there's a 3' on each side...now crank the wheel to port and you have a 5-6' coming off the stern side. That happened to me a few yrs ago when my mother in law (who can't swim) was staying with us for the weekend....we couldn't see land after a 50'+ cruiser turned a complete circle ahead of us, there was at least 8' of water around us. I'm almost 6' and the water was well over 2' above my head, but granted this is not the norm. You may run across a stray 6'er, but they are not continuous and linked together.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Stuffed my 33 Sonic last year on the way to the Shootout...(35 years on LOTO so I thought I knew wtf I was doing on the sticks..SURPRISE!) so there are some BIG holes out there. Being a Sonic she just shook herself off and never slowed, but it certainly got my attention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.