Dock owners on the Main C LOTO? >

Dock owners on the Main C LOTO?

Notices

Dock owners on the Main C LOTO?

Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dock owners on the Main C LOTO?

Pain in the butt, or worth it? Like to hear about it. Me personally would love to watch the action. When I get to that point in life...
Dan
Old 07-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Registered

Pain. Stuff on dock is breaking on friends places that are on the main channel constantly. We don't even use the dock when at their places. It probably depends where on the channel you are, too. If you have a break water it isn't too bad. You could find a place with main channel view and a dock in a cove? However, Probably pricey & fairly hard to find.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

What MM?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing a 30 year-old dock on the main channel this summer. It held up fairly decent, but tying up sucks a bit. The new one will be bigger, stronger, and have whips for guests. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Our dock is about 10 docks in from the main channel and by the time the waves go through all of them it's pretty much quiet back by us, we can see a little of the main channel (23MM) action.

Although it would be nice to see more, it's nice not to have to worry about the dock/boat and it's a peice of cake putting the boat away day or night and the dock, hoist and boat doesn't get the crap beat out of it.

Everybody has to make there own decision, we like the quiet cove, the kids/grandkids can swim around the dock without worry about getting swept away or hurt.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Registered

My house is at the 9.5 mm (second house from channel) and the water is rough but I would never trade it for back in a cove. Polylift is the only lift I would use on the channel. Love the action and dock repairs have been minimal (dock is 10 years old). Also depends on the age and structure of the dock.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Registered

My suggestion would be to spend a bit of time in the area you are interested in on a busy day. Then imagine that you are going to try to dock at various docks, and you will see that some situations are so bad that it would be almost impossible to dock safely, and others that are no problem. We spent about a year (100's of properties) looking before we bought our place and it was well worth the time. East facing, miles of water view in 2 directions, our own boat ramp, water that is wading depth at seawall, and 10+under lift. house is crap, but that can change, and location can't. The right place for you is out there, you just have to find it.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Registered

Take this into consideration....how much time do you spend on the dock, on the water,on your deck. Chances are most will be on the land, so do you want to look at the house's , docks, and who knows what directly across the cove or 2 miles of main channel view.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't disagree that a view of the boats going by on the main channel would be great but for someone who likes the quiet of a deep water cove it's not even something we'd consider... Depending on the weekend many times we are down on our dock with friends and neighbors and don't even take the boats out... While you can pick up some pretty beautiful places on the main channel I wouldn't want to worry about docking my boat or how bad the dock's getting beat up by the constant wave action... I agree Poly Lift is the only way to go, their built extremely strong and can handle a pounding...
Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing like a main lake view; nothing like selecting a remote cove location only to see a 30+ footer go by on full plow with 100 feet left to go before landfall...who happens to be your neighbor. There is no escaping the madness...that's why I love Loto...no place quite like it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.