Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Midwest
Lakes within 4 hour drive of St. Louis MO/Springfield IL? >

Lakes within 4 hour drive of St. Louis MO/Springfield IL?

Notices

Lakes within 4 hour drive of St. Louis MO/Springfield IL?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish
Some guys at work who fish a lot at shelbyville say the water level is really low, but I cant confirm.
It is. I saw a picture a few days ago of where I ramp at and the courtesy docks are on the dry lake bottom. Carlyle is up and all the docks are in.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
It is. I saw a picture a few days ago of where I ramp at and the courtesy docks are on the dry lake bottom. Carlyle is up and all the docks are in.
Yea, it's the worst I've seen in in seven years...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you tried Rend Lake south of Mt. Vernon, pretty nice lake, one restaurant & bar on the lake, water level is good.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Registered

Hey 253 where do you live in Southern IL. I live in Zeigler and we boat a lot on Kincaid and Kentucky Lake. We also head to LOTO when we can.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 253
Have you tried Rend Lake south of Mt. Vernon, pretty nice lake, one restaurant & bar on the lake, water level is good.
I must have missed this post...

I've been to Rend Lake once in my last boat and had a great time. I heard it can get shallow though in some spots. I'm planning on a trip to Shelbyville soon since it has come up enough now. I'm headed to LOTO tomorrow and should be bringing my boat home Thursday after my upgrades are finished.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I am west of Mt. Vernon, we go to Rend Lake & Ky. Lake , have not been to Kincaid for 10 years, water level on Rend Lake is good, just stay 200 ft. from the shorelines , you will be ok., ,We got the Fountain out Sunday for 1st. time this year on Rend & she ran real good, a lot of boats were running.,a nice hot day.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Registered

I've never been to Rend. Some friends started going down there 2 years ago and they say they love it. Others I have spoken to say they hate it. I would like to try Rend this year, but it is a little too far for me to drive (from alton) for a 1 day trip.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by fireguy
I've never been to Rend. Some friends started going down there 2 years ago and they say they love it. Others I have spoken to say they hate it. I would like to try Rend this year, but it is a little too far for me to drive (from alton) for a 1 day trip.
Rend Lake Resort has Condo's and Cabins to rent, on the lake , they are very nice, call ahead as they sell out fast.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 253
I am west of Mt. Vernon, we go to Rend Lake & Ky. Lake , have not been to Kincaid for 10 years, water level on Rend Lake is good, just stay 200 ft. from the shorelines , you will be ok., ,We got the Fountain out Sunday for 1st. time this year on Rend & she ran real good, a lot of boats were running.,a nice hot day.
I used the ramp across the lake from the beach and had no problems. I was told by my local friends to stay out of the upper part of the lake though.
You've probably seen my boat before.

Originally Posted by fireguy
I live about 20 miles NE of you and have done Rend lake on a 1 day trip. It's not bad at all as long as you leave early. But then again, I don't mind a 1 1/2hr pull one way for a day trip or the 4hr pull one way to LOTO for a weekend trip.

Last edited by Plowtownmissile; 05-09-2012 at 04:39 AM.