Harry Truman reservoir >

Harry Truman reservoir

Notices

Harry Truman reservoir

Old 06-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harry Truman reservoir

Whats the deal with it? I know its a flood control lake so the level will vary a lot. Its pretty good sized, do people boat on it? How's the availability of lakefront property? People never really seem to talk about it. Is LOTO just that much better and close enough to draw all the traffic?
Old 06-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crossett
Whats the deal with it? I know its a flood control lake so the level will vary a lot. Its pretty good sized, do people boat on it? How's the availability of lakefront property? People never really seem to talk about it. Is LOTO just that much better and close enough to draw all the traffic?
No lake front property that I know of. Known more as a fishing lake. When they made it they didn't take out the timber only topped the trees.

I've only driven through there a couple of times so more in the know will chime in here but that was my observation.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Went once and was pulled over within ten minutes. Kind of a boring lake with lots of trees. It really is a large fishing lake.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Registered

Skip it.
As mentioned, lots of timber, fishing only as far as I am concerned.
What are you trying to do?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
Skip it.
As mentioned, lots of timber, fishing only as far as I am concerned.
What are you trying to do?
Toying with the idea of buying a place in Missouri. Just wondered why no one ever talks about that lake.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Registered

Its a corps owned lake mainly fishing and tubing,sking lake there two or three resteraunts on it and thats about it, There is 2 kinda decent coves that 10-12 boats will tie up in not a very performance boat freindly crowd, I would go to the other side of the dam to Loto!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Registered

Go to Loto
I love it there, many thing to do and tons of big power boats
Old 06-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

My wife and I have been going there for many years. We have a trailer just a couple of miles for the ramp. We have seen a big change in the last few years as far as recreational boating goes. Many more on the water. There are a couple of good coves. One that I have seen 40 to 50 boats on a busy weekend. Not many performance boats in fact very few. We have a 29 foot fountain and rare to see anything bigger. I personaly like LOTO much better. Lot's of things happening and to watch. It's just enough further for us to go so we stick to Truman. We do tow over to Loto sometimes. My personal opinion is truman is getting more popular for the smaller boat's that just cant run the waves on LOTO. I dont know LOTO that well. I'm sure there are areas where it's not so rough but that's where all the fun stuff is.
I dont think private ownership is possible within a certain distance of the water on Truman. Of course Table Rock is a Corps lake and there are private docks on it. Probably have to build a minimum slip dock to get a permit.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:53 AM
Registered

Flood control lakes have a huge range of water level, LOTO has a very small range in comparison. If you go to ameren site and look at the guide curve you will see that LOTO is not as variable as flood control lakes. This allows private ownership right to waterline, as opposed to lake front that is really just lake view, or lake access property, with your dock sometimes in the lake further than your ramp is long, or your dock sitting on dry land, with nothing but a nice view of the water.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Registered

Default Truman Lake

I have boated there on and off for 20 years and for the powerboat crowd it may be considered boring but it has been great for skiing, tubing ,, fishing and just cruising around, It is a huge lake and there are a lot of tree's towards the shore lines. No first tier property and no private docs. Its all about what you want to do. I prefer Truman to LOTO if I want to take a bunch of kids tubing or skiing for the first time or want smoother water. I feel it is a safer lake for water sports as the number of boats is not as high and they are usually much smaller. I always keep towards the middle of the main channels and enjoyed the wild life and unmolested landscape. We like to camp there to. If you want the party go to LOTO if you want a more family friendly boating experience jump over to Truman. Enjoy both, a day on any lake is better than a day at work.