Notices

LOTO 2014 Shootout Poker Run

Old 04-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation LOTO 2014 Shootout Poker Run

Good afternoon fellow enthusiasts,

My name is Ryan Waggener and I have been a member on OSO for many years, but just recently changed my login. I am an avid boater and high performance enthusiast. My family as had a home on LOTO since the early 70's and it has always been a place where great memories have been created. Unfortunately in 1997 I suffered a life changing spinal cord injury during gymnastics practice that left me paralyzed from the chest down. It was a long recovery, but truly changed my life for the better in many ways. I truly have found how to enjoy life even more.

I purchased my first high performance boat in 1999 when I found a 1995 35 Fountain near my house for sale. It had stock 525sc's and was a dream of mine. It didn't take long, as all of you know, to want to make it my own. I changed nearly everything I could on the boat and had it just how I wanted it. I then met the woman of my dreams and the boat became too much of an expense along with house payments, so we sold it. It was a sad day for me, but I knew the gentleman who bought it would enjoy it as much as I did. I was not wrong and he took the boat to the next level.

Since selling the boat, my time at the lake has changed and I find something missing when I am there. I am sure one day we will own another boat, but until then I am a dreamer and avid boat gawker while on the lake.

OK, enough about that and on to my reason for posting this today. My family loves going to the Shootout every year and seeing the boats run. Even better than the boats are the amazing people you meet tying up of sitting at Captain Ron's. This year I have decided to take 10 days off of work to experience the entire week of festivities that accompany the Shootout. One of the events my wife and I really want to experience is the Poker Run. Here is the kicker. Since selling my boat and my parents selling their SeaRay to keep our business going,, we have not been able to enjoy this event.

So here is my request/offer....
I am willing to pay the entry fee, fuel costs, insurance, and even give you a place to stay and eat if you would be willing to let us participate in the Poker Run with you. Obviously this is a lot to ask, but it would be a bucket lister for me. Also, due to my disability I need to be in a larger boat so the impact on my back is not as rough. Again, I hope I am not coming off as a snob and I know this is an odd request, but I know the members on OSO are the best people to ask because they are some of the kindest souls I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

So now that I have bored you with my story and odd request, if you would be willing to take me up on y offer or know someone who might, comment below or shoot me a private message. Also, if you feel I am crazy and this is an awful request, let me know and i'll delete the thread. I appreciate your time and understanding.

Sincerely,
Ryan J. Waggener
Old 04-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think it's a lot to ask or an odd request at all. If your paying for everything it's certainly worth it for somebody to tow a pretty fair distance. Have to admit I find it intriguing myself as LOTO has always been one of the Nationally recognized runs that any one with a performance boat has to secretly say "I wish I could do it". It goes without saying there are a few Poker Runs on every bodies list.........this would have to be one of them. I am a bit concerned about your well being however. You mention a large boat to help soften the ride. I don't know if that's going to help if the boat is a performance boat that is moving right along. Big Sea Ray type boat or maybe somebody with a Statement that has the sprung cockpit may be going. That is the only thing I can think of that even remotely may help. Even than with all the boats kicking up the water it's going to be rough. Anyway, God bless and I hope you find a ride
Old 04-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Smile

benjen,

Thank you for the reply and kind words as well as concern. I mentioned a bigger boat simply because they are often a bit heavier and handle the rougher waters a little better. However, I had a 35 Fountain few a few years and rode in it often in rough waters on the lake, so I know what I'm in for somewhat. I do have a unique situation, but I also have no fear, so I can make anything work. Just before I sold my boat I was looking at a 36 Skater or a 36 Cigarette as both had racing style high back seating that I think would have worked perfect for me. I have use of my arms and can balance quite well, I just know I probably would've fair well in something too small on a run like that. My family has a 25 Cobalt that I ride in on occasion and do fine, but a poker run is a different beast. To be honest, I'll take whatever comes my way and be forever grateful for those who give me the opportunity.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

You bet.........I can't imagine somebody not stepping up. If it wasn't half way across the country I would be all in! As LOTO gets closer just re post if you are still without a ride.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I agree! I know the OSO members are an amazing group and it will all work out. I'll definitely keep up on it.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

PM'd. i would be more than willing to hook you up if your willing to ride in a fully restored 35' cafe racer!