What do you guys think of this boat? >

What do you guys think of this boat?

Notices

What do you guys think of this boat?

Old 06-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I'm really curious to see where this goes. I've been thinking about this boat too, but just can't seem to justify the money. I saw it here http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o44914-en.html
But I assumed it had a trailer. Adding a trailer...That puts it at $90k roughly.

Hmmmm, This is a tough one! You get twin Opti's, still under warranty? Unlikely. You get canopies, a nice flat deck, narrow cockpit, cool colors, custom interior, and over all a modern look, vs, say, a 28 skater, which still has its original lines from early 90's.

There are quite a few 30 Spectres, AMT's and 28 Skaters for less money, but without all the goodies. How do you justify the difference?

Do these 30 Motions porpoise? If so, at what speeds?

I'm torn on buying an older cat, and repowering with new warrantied Optis's or buying something turn key like this 30 Motion.

Thoughts?

P.S. please don't take this as a hijack. I'm a few months away from buying, you can have this one, so if anything, I'm just helping, and debating all in good fun.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Registered

All true cats porpoise at the point where the front is packing air and it starts to "burp" out the back. Just at the transition where you would see daylight through the tunnel. I raced a 30 motion with 2.5's and a 35 with 800 horse inboards. The boats are built pretty well but the fit and finish is NOWHERE near a Skater. My 30 was abused pretty badly and I did finally break the bottom at the rear bulkhead where the gas tanks sat. Early on (pre Manny) Motion did not put a stringer of any sort under the fuel tanks and the boat flexed at the rear bulkhead. The 30 has wider sponsons than a Skater so it rides decent before you get the air packed. DON'T let people tell you it drives like a car after 100mph these boats require attention.
As far as what speed porpoise occurs it depends on the size of tunnel, and weight of boat. The 30 would porpoise at slightly lower speeds (due to wider sponsons) say 55 to 65. It is easy to drive through. The 35 being much heavier didn't porpoise until high 80's or so. This is why, in my opinion, the larger inboard cats need bigger hp. You have to be running close to 100 in the 35's and 36's on up to get onto the air where a cat rides nice. 525's for example are capable of running up over 100 but you need to push the engines a bit.

Last edited by supercat; 06-11-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Supercat is dead on - I had a 2001 30 Motion O/B for several years and loved it. It did have a bit of a porpoise around 65 +/- but it was easy to drive through and if there was any chop at all, the porpoising was non-existent.

Fit and finish were ok. I consistently found myself replacing and changing things that I didn't like, but that's part of the fun of owning a boat, right?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Registered

Ditto lawyer.. like the 2" overbite on the front of the deck! lol