43 w/ trip 625's Speed?

Notices

43 w/ trip 625's Speed?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by baja27
I know the ford off lease boat is blowing the drives like white on rice! Nice boat though.
The best set up with all boats over 40' with some weight and length is NXT drive, #6 drive or any drive with trannies. I prefer a twin set up vs trips but thats just me. The trip 525's have been doing well, I know a few guys that have them. My dream boat is a 80mph 50' Nortech Condo with trip diesels, squared off arch with bimini. It doesnt get any better than that. Wonder if there are any pics of them lying around Jeff
Old 05-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
these are the exact 2 boats that I always ended up with as a pick before I ordered a new boat. The 42 Legacy will always be quicker, approx 10 mph faster with identicle power, due to different bottom design, but is much, much, smaller overall. Cockpit, cabin space, cabin height, ammenities, and so on. OL is geared everything towards speed with some comfort thrown in. I personally do not care for OL Epoxy bottom, too harsh of a ride, but the rest of the boat is built like a brick sh*t house. The Nortech is actually 44.6, has a much larger cockpit, and the cabin by far is the largest for it's size. The ride in rough water is excellent, it's a softer re-entry, and makes long poker runs enjoyable where your not beat to death when you arrive. Weight and length have it's advantages when the water get's rough. We overnight, so this is an excellent choice, full head appointments that has over 6' and 6'2" by the fridge and microwave and sink. It truely is a pleasure without having to bend down walking into a cabin. I'm on my third 4300, give me a call if you have any questions. Good Luck, both excellent choices.. Jeff 228-216-0900cell
Thanks for the feedback Jeff! That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. BTW, some other OSO members that I know (and shall go unamed) have been told that the 43V ride is not as good as the OL. They were told that the NT was "slappy" and did not handle the rough water as well. Plus it was a little squirly at high speed. I don't know because the only one I've ridden was the 43V with Yanmar's and Arneson's at Miami this year. I loved the boat but my freinds thought the ride was not up to snuff (although I'm not sure I agree). I think the boat that we rode will ride entirely different with sterndrives in the water and different amounts of weight in the engine compartment (twins versus big azz diesels).

If I lived in S. Florida and made regular trips to the Keys I would own the diesel NT in a minute (it's advertised on OSO). That boat has a SWEET paint scheme and I love the bullit proof drives and engines with awesome gas sipping economy. Now only if it could do mid 80's I would be in heaven...
Old 05-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Vyper340
Thanks for the feedback Jeff! That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. BTW, some other OSO members that I know (and shall go unamed) have been told that the 43V ride is not as good as the OL. They were told that the NT was "slappy" and did not handle the rough water as well. Plus it was a little squirly at high speed. I don't know because the only one I've ridden was the 43V with Yanmar's and Arneson's at Miami this year. I loved the boat but my freinds thought the ride was not up to snuff (although I'm not sure I agree). I think the boat that we rode will ride entirely different with sterndrives in the water and different amounts of weight in the engine compartment (twins versus big azz diesels).

If I lived in S. Florida and made regular trips to the Keys I would own the diesel NT in a minute (it's advertised on OSO). That boat has a SWEET paint scheme and I love the bullit proof drives and engines with awesome gas sipping economy. Now only if it could do mid 80's I would be in heaven...
You will always hear stuff like , a friend of a friend said, and in it's translation down the line it get's compared to something that might be better or better suited towards that person's particular needs vs the boat that they got a ride in.. Did they by the boat used, did they know where the proper placement of drives and tabs should be for the condtions, did they know how to drive, or have any business driving period The proper way to do this is back to back in the same water. The older Nortech boats are heavy, not a bad thing, just different layup. The newer ones are lighter which will change the attitude of the boat somewhat. Like the diesel boat you drove vs the 07 I just sold. What's coming down the line will be a vacuum bag infused resin process, which my boat will be the first to have and I am looking towards the additional weight savings which will translate to a little more speed. The #6 boats vs the diesel/Arneson boats will ride different. The #6 boat has those big skegs that act like a shock absorber vs the Arnesons that dont. The diesel boats with the Arnesons tend to ride a few degrees more forward due to their design. Yes they are slower and I think ride excellently. Fuel effecient as hell, with an awesome cruise range which works great for all poker runs, you just wont have the top end number. As to getting squirly, Ive been on a 43 w/6's at 97 mph, actually I drove it and never found it to have a problem. Stable as can be. I have had many boats through out the years, good and bad, they all ride different for many reasons. I've had a 96' 34 Powerquest, 00' single step Top Gun-worst riding boat I have ever had, traded for the 00 42 Sonic, 03 37 AT-great riding boat for it's size, 04 4300 gas-excellent riding boat, 07 4300 diesel, and 08 4300 on order. I hope this helps you. Jeff
Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by baja27
I know the ford off lease boat is blowing the drives like white on rice! Nice boat though.
The original drives were a problem but the new Bmax's are great so far. I was aboard the boat last weekend with no problems whatsoever.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Registered

Thanks Jeff! Is your new ride going to be diesel? Would you do diesel again and what would you change if you could? Based on your experiences with NT, what engines in a twin format would you go with to achieve 99.9 mph (I want a 100mph boat but not a 101 mph boat)?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Jeff! Is your new ride going to be diesel? Would you do diesel again and what would you change if you could? Based on your experiences with NT, what engines in a twin format would you go with to achieve 99.9 mph (I want a 100mph boat but not a 101 mph boat)?
Terry's 2003 demo boat ran just over 100mph with twin Nortech 900s and #VI drives. I drove the boat and it was a great set-up!!! Not sure if you will hit 100mph with twin 700s and a lighter layup.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think the Sunsation F4 is running about 100mph with twin 700s.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have done it twice and am on my third 4300. I like the overall size of the boat, 44.6., the quality of the complete package, service before and after the sale. I have changed a few things along the way, and the next boat will have some different bling on it. The boat as of the moment is ordered with the twin Merc 700's and #6 drives, but I have the option of changing by the end of the month when they start the new layup process. I like the diesel package better due to the longer range in mileage and I feel it will definately last longer, and the majority of the time we cruise at 50-60 mph anyways. We like to due longer trips so this diesel package works better for us. The top speed fell a little short to MY expectations, but with this infused bag process the weight will come down and possibly gain a few mph, that's MY goal anyways. The last boat with the last layup (not infused bagged) I believe did 105mh with the Merc 850's. The 700/#6 boat has not been done yet but I imagine will be in the low 90's. If you went with the NXT drives you would possibly gain a little speed. That is your only choice with out having to go to an outside motor builder. Jeff
Old 05-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by marylandmark
So you have to pick motor/drive packages before they lay it up?

Why is that- do they do it different depending on the package (more room in motor area, etc?) or is it a timing issue- like they have to order the motors/drives and rigging stuff so it will be there when they are ready?

Just curious- since this is the 1st one maybe then can lay it up and weigh it and then decide which power to go with? Diesel if light enough, gas if heavier.
They just want to have all the info to start ordering stuff to get the boat done in a 4-4-1/2 month time frame so I dont miss any more of the season and I can make a few poker runs. We allready know what the diesel boat does with the other layup, and with 700's it will be more than fast enough for me. All I care is if I can beat those slow A.T. guys, like DocmanRich
Old 05-25-2007, 04:48 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Pretty slow- it is a family boat....
Your baadddd