Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nor-Tech
3600 Supercat hop ? >

3600 Supercat hop ?

Notices

3600 Supercat hop ?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

All true tunnel hull cats will have a porpoise at the transition speed. Nortech, Skater, MTI all of them. The Eliminaters style hulls with the pod in the center will have very little hop. The true tunnels are faster and will eat big water much better. The pod boats are much better at the cruising speeds under 100 mph. My MTI is not happy unless running over 100. Cruising speed is 110 most of the time as anything less is not fun as the boat is too wet. The question about higher power is a good one in a cat. I have owned many cats 10+ and the cats (true tunnels) with low power are really not fun to drive as the porpoise speed 70-85 takes too long to punch through. It is annoying in flat water. If you want a 115 mph cat get an Eliminator or DCB. They are a blast to drive and can crusie at any speed in comfort. My wife and I really almost hate riding in V-hulls these days. I hate standing up and they ride too rough compared to our cats.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
All true tunnel hull cats will have a porpoise at the transition speed. Nortech, Skater, MTI all of them. The Eliminaters style hulls with the pod in the center will have very little hop. The true tunnels are faster and will eat big water much better. The pod boats are much better at the cruising speeds under 100 mph. My MTI is not happy unless running over 100. Cruising speed is 110 most of the time as anything less is not fun as the boat is too wet. The question about higher power is a good one in a cat. I have owned many cats 10+ and the cats (true tunnels) with low power are really not fun to drive as the porpoise speed 70-85 takes too long to punch through. It is annoying in flat water. If you want a 115 mph cat get an Eliminator or DCB. They are a blast to drive and can crusie at any speed in comfort. My wife and I really almost hate riding in V-hulls these days. I hate standing up and they ride too rough compared to our cats.
Hey Brad.....thanku for that message.... Very well said,,, everyone thinking of buying a Cat should read this...!!! very very good advice and I learned alot just by the little that you said..... Its nice that you actually gave great advice,,, bcuz most on here just say something rude or tell others how stupid they are... SO THANKU..!! ps... Brad i nvr saw ur MTI on AI,,, and i watched it 2 times... idk?
Old 01-16-2022, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain4play
For mine we used the ASD-7M Kit which is able to handle the increased HP of my new motors and not have to worry about them breaking...

My 3600 is one of the few that have a notch at the bottom and a filler piece and some fiberglass work was needed so the "X" Dimension was in the right spot.

Other than that there is some transom work to fit up the new standoff boxes since they are quite a bit larger than the XR/ITS system that was originally on the boat... If the boat doesn't have a notch it's a pretty straight forward conversion at roughly 1/2 the cost of a single #6 drive and transmission...

I really like the surface drives and Rik Wimp is always available to answer questions, provide information to do the upgrade. I've run them for a couple of seasons now down at LOTO and haven't had a lick of problems...

Jim
Do you still own the 3600 with ASD-7s I am currently looking at the same setup on same boat, really would like to talk with you.