First run at havasu >

First run at havasu

Notices

First run at havasu

Old 04-26-2005, 02:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First run at havasu

Well fellas I made the first trek to havasu this weekend in my new rage. Thanks to some input from Lonnie We had some runs that hit 92mph and 94mph on sunday.We had to take out alot of the trim tabs and bring the drive up a bit to loosen her up, but she responded well.Only producing 4lbs of boost at 5300 rpm so im sure there is alot more potential there.Any of you guys running a vortech supercharger on a hp500? Curious to hear how guys are getting more hp out of them.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: First run at havasu

More power? Thats easy smaller puller on Vortech charger equals more boost the HP500 can handle 7 without too much trouble, but watch out your building a drive eater.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoyH
Well fellas I made the first trek to havasu this weekend in my new rage. Thanks to some input from Lonnie We had some runs that hit 92mph and 94mph on sunday.We had to take out alot of the trim tabs and bring the drive up a bit to loosen her up, but she responded well.Only producing 4lbs of boost at 5300 rpm so im sure there is alot more potential there.Any of you guys running a vortech supercharger on a hp500? Curious to hear how guys are getting more hp out of them.
Roy,
Sounds like you are getting the "hang" of driving a step/pad/vee. Loose is fast, but it takes a lot more driving technique. You will get better with more seat time. To me it was always fun to have a boat that was so fast that you couldn't just jump in and firewall it.
I agree with Hillbilly that you've got plenty of HP left in your setup. I'm running 7 lbs. of boost through my 575SCi. Just keep an eye on those head gaskets. Cometics or FelPros are much better if you get the chance to swap them out before you crank up the boost. You'll need some more fuel too (ECU
recurve/more fuel pressure/higher flow injectors) to go along with any boost increase. I'm sure VorTech has a program for
you.
You've got a beautiful boat.
Regards,
Steve
Old 04-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Registered

Regards,
Steve[/QUOTE]

I hope this is not a stupid Question

This is the second time on OSO I have seen someone write that someone has a Beautiful Boat .....I don`t see a picture of any Boat....Is it cause you have seen their Boat somewhere else or am I missing something???
Old 04-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatingbent
Regards,
Steve
I hope this is not a stupid Question

This is the second time on OSO I have seen someone write that someone has a Beautiful Boat .....I don`t see a picture of any Boat....Is it cause you have seen their Boat somewhere else or am I missing something???[/QUOTE]
Boatingbent:
Unless I'm mistaken, Roy's boat is the red/white/silver flake Rage that Nordic uses in some of their national advertising. It was also a test boat for Hot Boat (I think, could have been PB).
See his thread below New Nordic Rage.
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 04-28-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:06 AM
Registered

I am wondering if this would be Roy`s Boat then????I was at the SEMA SHOW in 2003 and took these pictures....That will be funny if it is cause this Rage is kind of what got me Interested in Nordic`s when I saw it at SEMA I really liked the color combo and that Boat is the reason for the Color Combo I picked out for mine........
So Roy is this your`s????????????

You can also go to the Nordic Web Site and they have Roy`s Boat (I guess its Roy`s)that you can download as your wallpaper which I have on my Monitor...HEHEHE
Attached Thumbnails First run at havasu-b-2-.jpg   First run at havasu-1.jpg  
Old 04-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve,
Does you boat get squirrly at speed? My 28 didn't so much as flinch at 90.
Now when we dropped my motor in my friends 28 Heat where it resides now, it felt like a different boat and did seem to get a bit loose on me but he says that he's not having that issue now. Hmmmm Maybe it over trimmed easier than mine did. When we tied up together last year, his boat sat about 5" higher out of the water than mine at the transom. Mine was a 2001 his a 2002.
Makes you wonder.
He now also rips easily to 5600 rpm with Linnie's old Bravo 30 at 5000 feet. He doesn't stay in it because I put the fear of god in him to stay away from the rev limiter. Scary thing is this is with the bigger pulley.
Same boat, two different attitudes
Dave
Old 04-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Registered

Dave,
No handling issues with mine so far at all. The next 5-10 MPH could change things, however.
I think the handling issues are A setup-correct X-dimension, hydraulic steering, correct propeller and gearcase configuration.
B driving technique and seat time. I have driven high performance/drag outboards (pad vees like Allison/Bullet/ Checkmate/ Baja, and tunnel vees like STV/Mirage/Sleekcraft/
Shadow) since 1976, so driving these bigger deep vees seems very easy to me. Yes, mine will chine walk just a little when I get stuck in parallel wakes (like a Poker Run blast off), but it's so stable, I can just keep the throttle down and it goes away as soon as I get through the slop. Sometimes out of old driving habits I play with the steering to keep it on the keel and it responds like a sports car, which is pretty cool.
C correct loading, laterally and fore and aft, a boat that's carrying too much weight off the centerline CG will definitely fall of the pad to that side, requiring constant attention. Too much weight foreward of the CG/requires excess trim for bow lift, wasting horsepower, and too much weight aft will cause hard planing and porpoising in rough water. Rather than use my tabs to correct lateral imbalances, I play with my gas load.
I do use them to plane off heavy passenger/fuel/equipment
loads, and then just pull them all the way up. I'll give you an example of little things make a big difference. When I top off my water holding tank (port side, about midships), my boat wants to fall off to that side, and definitley loses 1 or 2 MPH.
It is poorly positioned (high, way to the port side, too far forward) for a high performance boat. It should be in the engine compartment on the starboard side to counteract propeller torque. So I've quit carrying water at all unless we're overnighting.
That's interesting the way your buddy's boat sat higher at displacement. Did it have the fiberglass cockpit floor? I think they changed that (for the better) in '02 or '03. Was your gas and passenger load similar?
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 04-29-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Steve,
3 people and ¾ tanks in both and no cockpit liners. It would take 3 or 4 more people to drop his that much. Both closed bows and he actually had the heavier HP500EFI verse my aluminum dressed motor (heads and intake) at the time. It’s obvious that this is not an exact science and no two things are alike
Yea, I’m also a throw back to that era and grew up in NorCal when it was more important to keep your ass in the boat than worry about chine walk. The 18-21 footers were fun but after moving up to the bigger boats is when I began running into the chine walking syndrome.
In my travels we owned a Mirage 237 (Washington style) which felt big at the time in comparison. BobL and I built a 540 for it several years back and boy you want to feel chine walk…Wow!!
Of course we had to buy a boat to fit the motor so then came along the Heat. Of course then the 540 just wasn’t enough for that so then………..well you know the rest of the story )

Bottom line is that the Heat is very stable. It’s also extremely weight sensitive; hates weight in the front and loves it in the back at least on my lay-up
I understand the Heat walks a bit a 95-96 but then comes out of it. I never made it to those numbers so I can’t verify that.
Bob might get close depending on how brave he is with pulleys

Dave
Old 04-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Registered

Dave:
I think that some of these Nordics are laid up lighter/or heavier than others, and, depending on how long they stay in the mold, and how they are stored (trailer, dry rack, hydrohoist, etc.), the bottoms have some variation.
I've wondered if blueprinting the bottom, which we did commonly on the little boats (of course they only weighed 400-650 lbs, 2 or three guys could roll them over) would help?
I've never checked mine for hook or rocker.
Regards,
Steve

Quick Reply: First run at havasu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.