27 Thor, hands on

Notices

27 Thor, hands on

Old 04-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 27 Thor, hands on

Guys,
I was in KY this week on business, and for a day at Keeneland , and night at Solid Platinum, woops, that's
another story .......................
Since our mystery Thor showed up nearby, I thought I would go by LCM and check it out.
There she sat in all her pumpkin orange and grey (must have been low on other gelcoat colors that week ) glory.
Walked around and checked her out with the assistance of a very professional salesman.
Even in this weird color combo, it is a beautifully designed boat. I've looked at lots of tunnels, and the Thor IMHO has better lines than DCB or Eliminator. The cockpit is deep and comfortable, the F-16 canopies are distorsion free, lots of cool storage built in, fiberglass floor, easy engine access, and
a fiberglass swin platform and ladder.
My only ***** (other than the colors) is that weird center console, and no cabin amenities. The underdeck area is carpeted, but that's all folks. I know the limitations of trying to incorporate a cabin into a tunnel with the shallow headroom and weird floor, BUT to give credit where it's due, several of the competing brands HAVE figured it out (Eliminator, Conquest, and HTM come to mind).
There's no way I would consider trading my Heat for the Thor, even though it is a sweet hotrod, without a couple of facing lounges and a berth.
I know Nordics are custom boats, and hopefully they can work something out. There is plenty of space there to work with.
Overall, I give this first one an 8 for excellent mold work, I hear great performance (claimed 92, the recall gauge said 84, I had to check it out) nice cockpit, trick electric wind deflector, F-16 canopies, easy engine access, built in swim platform, and nice dash layout.
If they can address the lack of cabin amenities issue, ditch/fix the console, and I KNOW they can do nice graphics, they will have the nicest boat in this class.
Here's some pics.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails 27 Thor, hands on-thor-525-small-.jpg   27 Thor, hands on-thor-bow-small-.jpg   27 Thor, hands on-thor-dash-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 04-21-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Registered

Default Re: 27 Thor, hands on

a couple more
Attached Thumbnails 27 Thor, hands on-thor-side-small-.jpg   27 Thor, hands on-deflector-small-.jpg  
Old 04-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up. Now take it for a spin and get back with us
Old 04-22-2006, 06:46 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

I dont like the orange at all. I saw the blue one on the other post the looked great. I thought the blue one did not have the center console & the shifters were on the side???Thanks for the pictures.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Talking Re: 27 Thor, hands on

Originally Posted by Linster
I thought the blue one did not have the center console & the shifters were on the side???Thanks for the pictures.
No more center console
Attached Thumbnails 27 Thor, hands on-83699659_10.jpg  
Old 04-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by evaluex
No more center console

YUP...I like the NO CC better
Old 04-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Registered

I love the orange boat, very loud and bold color, but whatever personal perference. Great write up Steve, you should go to work at Nordic ! I too like the boat better without the center counsel!
Old 04-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Registered

Guys,
I know several of the outboard hotrod manufacturers here in TN, and all of them early in their companies' or certain models' production runs would make sure they were light, so they would run well vs the competition, and get a good performance reputation.
Cabin amenities do add weight, up in the bow, where it hurts performance the most. Some hotrod tunnel guys don't care about them anyway (their wives and girlfriends may not agree, nor do I), so this may be Nordic's motivation on these early Thors too. The boat's performance would certainly back up this strategy.
And and a finished cabin would would drive up the cost...........
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 04-23-2006 at 08:09 PM.