Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
Twin engine Heat? >

Twin engine Heat?

Notices

Twin engine Heat?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No kidding- GPS confirmed multiple times.

I spoke with a guy who had an early 2000's open bow heat and he said the same thing as Indy. He could only get mid 60's out of his as well. However, he was running a 24 pitch prop (mine is a 26). I do know that the open bows are generally a little slower due to more weight and less favorable aerodynamics. Also, the newer boats (not sure what year they started, maybe 2006 or so) are wood free and weigh about 400 lbs less. Also, the guys at Unlimited told me that they have had boats, including mine, that came from the factory in need of throttle adjustment. In other words, throttle down did not actually generate WOT. They said that mine was that way and would only run mid 60's before they adjusted it. Just a few things to consider..... But I am totally serious about the speed. It also sounds much better. Though, I don't really notice much difference below 60 mph. Above 60 the headers definitely help.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:08 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by CumberlandHeat
No kidding- GPS confirmed multiple times.

I spoke with a guy who had an early 2000's open bow heat and he said the same thing as Indy. He could only get mid 60's out of his as well. However, he was running a 24 pitch prop (mine is a 26). I do know that the open bows are generally a little slower due to more weight and less favorable aerodynamics. Also, the newer boats (not sure what year they started, maybe 2006 or so) are wood free and weigh about 400 lbs less. Also, the guys at Unlimited told me that they have had boats, including mine, that came from the factory in need of throttle adjustment. In other words, throttle down did not actually generate WOT. They said that mine was that way and would only run mid 60's before they adjusted it. Just a few things to consider..... But I am totally serious about the speed. It also sounds much better. Though, I don't really notice much difference below 60 mph. Above 60 the headers definitely help.
Wow...that's a heck of a difference in boats. I tried the 26p, 26p labbed, stock 24, labbed 24 and still got nowhere close to 70. 67mph once, with the tide, cool day, low fuel, with the wind, one passenger, no crap on board, slight chop, never duplicated. You can see how I'm skeptical about the numbers I've seen recently.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see some pictures of the twin engined Heat.

Chris
Old 06-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Registered

Here are a few, nevermind all the other junk around it in the garage. It is a 1990, I don't recall them calling it a heat then but it is 28 feet and very similar to today's heat. It would be nice to get some more speed out of it... was thinking risers/manifolds would be a start. Its spinning 25p mirages now around 4500 RPM. I think the twin's downfall is its weight, if I recall correctly we had it on a set of truck scales and it weighed out to around 8,000 lbs

It has 3 gas tanks, two sides and one middle. It holds 120 gal all together

Anyone ever seen one like this?
Old 06-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered

Ace,
That is too cool. A real piece of Nordic history.
Regarding performance, have you tried removing the whale tales and running it? You may have installed them to help planing or reduce porpoising, but they can reduce top end speed. Some Bravo 24" 4 blades might help. Some Danas would get your weight down and give you some exhaust relief. The stock cast iron exhaust manifolds (and you have 4) weigh a ton.
And, some additional horsepower never hurts .........
Best Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 06-02-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Ace,
That is too cool. A real piece of Nordic history.
Regarding performance, have you tried removing the whale tales and running it? You may have installed them to help planing or reduce porpoising, but they can reduce top end speed. Some Bravo 24" 4 blades might help. Some Danas would get your weight down and give you some exhaust relief. The stock cast iron exhaust manifolds (and you have 4) weigh a ton.
And, some additional horsepower never hurts .........
Best Regards,
Steve
The boat came factory with those ginormous whale tales. We asked one of the guys who had a say in the development of the hull/rigging about the whale tales shortly after buying the boat and he said to leave them on that they help porpoising issues and don't hurt speed. I have a really hard time believing that they don't hurt the speed though, I'll try that next time I take it out and report back.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a rev limiter on these 454's I would guess it is 5,000-5,100? Doesn't it make more sense to spin the engine out to its redline with a smaller pitch prop? I'll have to check to make sure the butterfly is opening to its fullest, it would be pretty dumb if all it needed was a throttle adjustment all these years and its really a 70 mph boat everyday.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Thank-you for the pictures....Very Cool !!!

Chris
Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

the 7.4's run in the 4400-4800 range, so you are in that, may want to try a set of mirage plus's in a 23p? just throwin some ideas out there

that is a sweet display of nordic history, thanks for posting those pics!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

That's a very cool boat. Thanks for sharing. Never seen a Nordic like that.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Registered

Love the pics! Beautiful boat. Thanks for posting

Quick Reply: Twin engine Heat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.