Fall is a mixed message

Notices

Fall is a mixed message

Old 10-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fall is a mixed message

Hi Guys,
I don't know about you, but I always look at Fall like the end of a fun summer season. Kinda hate it's over, but still a few good booze cruises, and time to reload for next summer!
I finally got to let the old girl run in some cool AM air yesterday, before we got back to our usual 80s. Between the weather and a freshened up supercharger, the Heat was feeling pretty good ......................The digital says 86.5.
Regards,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Fall is a mixed message-boat-pics-023-small-.jpg  
Old 10-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Fall is a mixed message

Hey Steve,
What prop was that. We had Bob's 29 P5x last week to test at our elevation so my buddy could have one made up by Matt and Julie.
The order is in for the identical lab work except on a 30
Dave
Old 10-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Registered

Dave,
It's a TU blueprinted 28" P5-X. It's right up against my limiter (5600) @ 5550 in good conditions, so I could probably use a 29" then.
But in our normal heat and humidity, it's about right @ 5400/5500. I also have 30" B1 that Matt blueprinted and it's about the same with the 1" spacer in.
Without the spacer, the B1 slips too much with my normal load.
BTW, all these #s are with the 1" spacer and an Imco standard length gearcase. And, the 5 blade may have a slight edge in top end without the spacer.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 10-03-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Registered

It was love at first try with Bob's 29. It's kind of strange though because this particular boat with the stock 27 P5X with added cup was extremely loose at any speed. He only used this prop for playing at Lake Powell back in the canyons and stuff and clearly was not enough prop but did cruise well with a load.
The 29 lab was a complete different story. At 5000 feet on completely flat glass water the boat rode like it was on rails with no looseness what so ever. It ran easily to the rev limiter of 5850 and consitently ran 90-91 mph under these conditions (reason for the 30 selection)
Just goes to show, you just never know how a particular prop will run on "any" setup without trying. It seems he's found a great cruise prop with good top end all in one.

(BTW, a spacer was tried on this boat and it was very loose so off it came)

Now if we could only figure out the Havasu prop. So far a labbed Bravo 32 with as much cup as possible is still not enough

We are headed to Lake Powell next week with the new prop from Matt and Julie. I will post reults

Dave
Old 10-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Registered

Dave,
Keep us posted. Knocking on 100 with a Heat gives us all something to aspire to.
Steve
Old 10-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Dave,
Keep us posted. Knocking on 100 with a Heat gives us all something to aspire to.
Steve
Steve,
I just wanted to say that it doesn't come at no expense (unless your real lucky...read on)
Max machine installed a new gear set early this year because of heavy pitting.
The new set lost a few teeth after the 97+ mph runs at Havasu during Desert Storm but he won 3rd in the poker run which paid for that.
Then he snapped a Max Machine clutch shaft at the Nordic regatta (Havasu) but he won second in that event and that was paid for.
Bad or Good Luck???

As long as he stays away from the low elevations the drive seems to hold up well. But when dropping down the extra hp does create problems (and speed ).

Just an FYI
Dave
Old 10-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Steve,
I just wanted to say that it doesn't come at no expense (unless your real lucky...read on)
Max machine installed a new gear set early this year because of heavy pitting.
The new set lost a few teeth after the 97+ mph runs at Havasu during Desert Storm but he won 3rd in the poker run which paid for that.
Then he snapped a Max Machine clutch shaft at the Nordic regatta (Havasu) but he won second in that event and that was paid for.
Bad or Good Luck???

As long as he stays away from the low elevations the drive seems to hold up well. But when dropping down the extra hp does create problems (and speed ).

Just an FYI
Dave
Dave,
Thanks for the heads up!
Regards,
Steve
Old 10-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Hi Guys,
I don't know about you, but I always look at Fall like the end of a fun summer season. Kinda hate it's over, but still a few good booze cruises, and time to reload for next summer!
I finally got to let the old girl run in some cool AM air yesterday, before we got back to our usual 80s. Between the weather and a freshened up supercharger, the Heat was feeling pretty good ......................The digital says 86.5.
Regards,
Steve
Steve,

How did you take the clear picture of the dash at speed?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
Steve,

How did you take the clear picture of the dash at speed?
Good question Bill,
When I used to drag race, we had recall on lots of the instrumentation, because it was over in a matter of seconds.
You concentrated on the tree and the competition, and at 125+
you didn't have time to look at the tach, EGTs, or GPS.
So I have Livorsi recall modules on the GPS speedo and tach on my Heat. It makes it much easier to drive at speed and read the results later. They can be added to most GPS speedos and tachs. I also have digital speed and recall on my Garmin 172C. This info is great for propping your boat.
I do scan the dash occasionally to make sure important guages (fuel pressure/oil pressure/oil temp/water temp/water pressure/boost pressure) are "in the black", but at WOT I'm looking at the water trying to read the conditions and lake traffic ahead of me.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 10-06-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slick! That is a nice capability to have.

Quick Reply: Fall is a mixed message

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.