Heat projects for the down season

Notices

Heat projects for the down season

Old 12-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heat projects for the down season

Hi Guys,
A couple of us are working on our Heats this winter, and I thought you might like to see what we're up to.
Butch Fletcher has a '96 pad vee Heat. His motor was getting really tired, and he is having it completely rebuilt. Getting very close to reinstalling a B&M 250 supercharged Gen4 496" with
a Crane 741 hydraulic roller. I think his static compression is around 8.5. I think it will be in the 775/800 HP area. We won't be dynoing it, so we'll run it and see what it turns.
Even though my boat is running great (consistent 84/85), I think there is plenty left in the 575, and we are getting ready to find out. I have a custom hydraulic roller cam, Morel lifters, Dart/Eickert hard anodized aluminum heads (set up by Eickert for my cam), new 8.5 compression ratio pistons, and Cometic gaskets, new rings, bearings etc, and ECU recalibration ordered. We will do final ECU recalibrating on the water with an O2 sensor. I just had my blower rebuilt by TBS, so it's fresh and ready to go.
Probably will not be dynoing my motor either, but with our 17HP per MPH formula should be able to figure some #s. I'm hoping for 850ishHP, and low 90s. More is always welcome . We'll see.
I'll get some pics as we progress, and keep you all posted.
Anybody else (Bob I know you are wrenching) have any interesting projects going on this winter?
I may have some heads, intake, cam/lifters, and props for sale if no one local buys them. I'll let you know.
Happy Holidays ,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 12-01-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Heat projects for the down season

After dynoing my engine I realized I wasn't turning enough RPM to utilize all the HP. I was turning 5500-5600 and that was 770-780 HP on the dyno. My best speed was 89, with consistent 85-86 in 95-100 temps. That should give you some pretty good baseline numbers to work with. I think it will take a solid 850 to run 90.

Jim Valako is porting my heads right now. I'm going to lower the compression to about 8.5:1, install a bigger cam and raise the boost. I should be around 900 HP when done. I'm hoping to have an honest 90 MPH boat under summer conditions.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Registered

Bob,
From your recent dyno #s, 900 ought to be easy!
Regards,
Steve
Old 12-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm remodeling a kitchen

Steve, are your heads being ported by Eickert?
I could be wrong but 850hp from 509ci, small blower (I think) and non ported heads sounds like it's pushing things pretty hard to get that hp.

Wish I had something to anticipate (kinda )

Keep us posted...
Dave
Old 12-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Registered

Dave,
These Darts (supposedly) are a proprietary Eickert casting, made from a set of heads that they ported, and sent back to Dart to use as master molds. I don't have plans to port them further at this time. I agree there is more HP to be found there too, but they should already outflow my GM/Merc perf heads dramatically. They have .300" raised exhast ports and several other advantantages over my iron heads, not to mention the weight savings.
We want to get this combination put together and see where we are. I think the increase in compression, better flowing lightweight heads, and roller cam will make for some good HP increases. This is the first time I have added any high performance internal hard parts. The motor is running pretty well as is, considering it's pretty much stock (flat tappet/7.5 comp/iron heads/etc) with a few bolt on and programming tweaks. Will keep you posted.
Are you doing anything to your Flame this winter?
Regards,
Steve
Old 12-02-2006, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Re: Heat projects for the down season

going to try and get my A/C in this year, ran out of time last year.
I was thinking about order 26 pitch lab prop , I can hit the rev limiter
when at half tank 2 ppl 75 degrees.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by IndianaHeat
going to try and get my A/C in this year, ran out of time last year.
I was thinking about order 26 pitch lab prop , I can hit the rev limiter
when at half tank 2 ppl 75 degrees.
Should be a good addition at a reasonable price. I see them on here in the prop classifieds regularly.
Steve
OH YEAH..........
I sold my 30" Bravo yesterday. My Throttle UP blueprinted Hydromotive 28" P5-x is also for sale. Fastest and best all around propeller I've run on my boat. Perfect condition.
$1500 invested, will sell for $1200, or trade for even for a 30"
P5-X, blueprinted or not. Partial trade on a 32/33" Bravo 1 four blades considered.
Thanks,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Heat projects for the down season-spacer.jpg  
Old 12-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to me a 30 P5X may be a little big. I'm guessing you're going to need close to 6000 RPM to hit peak power. My boat ran 89 at 5600 with the labbed 29 with cup added. OF course if you can spin a 30 to 6000 you'll be flying!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered

Bob,
You may right. I don't have a horsepower increase to pitch increase ratio for our boats. Even if I did, I don't know how much HP these mods will net (est. 150), so I'm just guessing.
Maybe I'm just used to Mercury's 2 inch pitch increments.
I talked with Julie yesterday. Did you know they are no longer a Hydromotive dealer? I was hoping to work out a trade with them. Hopefully, they can get this resolved, because the Hydros with their blueprinting have been the $hit on our boats.
OK, I'll trade for a 29" P5-X too !
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 12-02-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they ever get 91 oct down at my lake I can get a whipple and a imco drive. I thinking I can still be close to 5000rpm.... tach is reading 5300 rpm when cuts out

Quick Reply: Heat projects for the down season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.