prop help 28 heat

Notices

prop help 28 heat

Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 PM
sug
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop help 28 heat

2002 28 heat with 800-1000 horspower. It has an extension box with imco 2 inch shorty. It has a six blade now and goes 94. It went 99 with a four blade.Whats the best prop and pitch ?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SUG,
Sounds like you're running very well already. We would need to know your current pitch and gear ratio to make an educated pitch recommendation. It also helps to know what RPM your horsepower peak is, so you can prop for that RPM.
Several of us have had excellent results with the Hydromotive P5-X. The P5-X is a bow lifting propeller. It is also made in the standard P5, which is a tail lift version. I mention this because you have the IMCO box, so you may need some tail lift.
I have a 2001 Heat/est. 850HP that runs 90 to 94. I run a blueprinted 28"P5-X 5800/6000 RPM. Sounds like you have more HP, and could probably turn a 30".
I would give Hydromotive a call. I'm sure they can give you a good recommendation on pitch and P5 version.
www.hydromotive.com
Welcome to the Nordic forum. Keep us posted on your progress.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 07-16-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:10 PM
sug
Registered

thanks steve. i'll give hydromotive a call.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Registered

Default Performance and Prop

To anyone that can help! I have a 2006 nordic heat. Motor is a 500 with GT Performance cam, dart 335 port polished heads, GT Performance MAP, CMI, 3.3whipple brand new style with larger cooler amongst a few other goodies. The boat has a standard xr with imco lower satin/cone. I really need some help! The guys that actually put my motor together in colorado are stating that Nordic is a very slow hull and that my lack of performance is due to Nordic and not the motorthey put together. I live in Colorado and boat anywhere from lake of the ozarks, havasu to Denver. I am turning a 30p bravo 4 at 5100 with 8lbs at OZARKS. I am running about 82. I supposidly have 800hp in this boat. My estimation was that the boat would run around 90 with this power at havasu or ozarks. I seem to be 8mph to 10mph off of my estimation.
Can someone help before I get rid of this boat? I am very frustrated about the performance side and love everything else about the boat. This dealer I am having help with the motor is not really taking responsibility for saying this could be a motor issue. I personally thought Nordic had a pretty fast hull??? I know advantage 28 which is a slow hull runs 80mph with a 600hp motor?? I also know that a 28heat with a stock 496Ho runs 70mph and to think I am running 82 with almost twice the power is disturbing. Any have thoughts on motor/drive height/box/prop.
I did read some of your thoughts above and that was helpful.
If anyone can help please call me on my cell. I am not on here very often so I may miss some this info

Shane 303 550-8896
Thanks guys
Old 07-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mountaincat
To anyone that can help! I have a 2006 nordic heat. Motor is a 500 with GT Performance cam, dart 335 port polished heads, GT Performance MAP, CMI, 3.3whipple brand new style with larger cooler amongst a few other goodies. The boat has a standard xr with imco lower satin/cone. I really need some help! The guys that actually put my motor together in colorado are stating that Nordic is a very slow hull and that my lack of performance is due to Nordic and not the motorthey put together. I live in Colorado and boat anywhere from lake of the ozarks, havasu to Denver. I am turning a 30p bravo 4 at 5100 with 8lbs at OZARKS. I am running about 82. I supposidly have 800hp in this boat. My estimation was that the boat would run around 90 with this power at havasu or ozarks. I seem to be 8mph to 10mph off of my estimation.
Can someone help before I get rid of this boat? I am very frustrated about the performance side and love everything else about the boat. This dealer I am having help with the motor is not really taking responsibility for saying this could be a motor issue. I personally thought Nordic had a pretty fast hull??? I know advantage 28 which is a slow hull runs 80mph with a 600hp motor?? I also know that a 28heat with a stock 496Ho runs 70mph and to think I am running 82 with almost twice the power is disturbing. Any have thoughts on motor/drive height/box/prop.
I did read some of your thoughts above and that was helpful.
If anyone can help please call me on my cell. I am not on here very often so I may miss some this info

Shane 303 550-8896
Thanks guys

Good chatting with ya Shane....keep me posted.

Paul
Old 07-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Registered

mountaincat,
Sorry to hear your performance is less than expected. Starting with a similar motor (575sci/502) and similar mods, except your Whipple is better than my stock Merc/Weiand256, my boat is running 90 (heavy/hot weather) to 94.5 (light/cooler weather).
At 1st I thought the altitude was killing you, but you say it's still bad at LOTO and Havasu, so that's not it.
Ideas and recommendations:
I would get the motor looked at by a knowledgeable High Performance dealer, and diagnosed and dynoed. I'm not sure you're getting the HP you paid for. You aren't really turning that 30" as many RPM as your estimated HP should, unless you have 1.35 gears. Are you hitting the rev limiter? I turned a 32" B1 5500 yesterday in heat and loaded.
Give Bob Lloyd a call at Full Throttle Marine. He's a Nordic dealer, has built some fast ones, including his own Heat.
Click here www.fullthrottlemarine.com for Bob's contact #s.
I would also put a straight edge on your center pad and make sure it is straight. A hook (concave area) here will definitely hurt your performance.
Regarding your drive, I am running the same setup with a 1" spacer. Most of us have found this to be a more efficient setup
than the stock X-dimension, which is very high (19.25"s) on most boats out of the factory.
Hang in there, we'll try to help you all we can.
FYI, as far your "motor builders" go ("Nordics are a very slow hull") tell them to check this jpeg, same boat with "similar" HP.
Regards,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails prop help 28 heat-boat-pics-049.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 07-24-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Registered

Steve,
You and Paul are helping me immensely! I needed this kind of feedback to re-assure me of what I already knew. Your results are what I anticipated from this boats performance. I can't thank you guys enough for actually taking the time to discuss with a fellow boater in distress! :-)
I love this boat of mine and hope to post a picture tomorrow! My wife is happy with the boat so of course I am happy.......as long as i could get the projected performance out of it. Steve, I will call bob at full throttle and see what he says. To answer your question Steve I am running 1:50 gears and did check that straight edge prior. Luckily I am straight! I really don't believe in my heart this is a hull/nordic problem!
So for clarity, you are running a 1 spacer down? No box or anything? Steve what are you turning for gear ratio? If i understand correctly you run a 32b to 5500 with I assume 1:5 and about 15% slip??? That is great for a 575sci stock correct? what boost?

Thanks so much guys
Old 07-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Registered

Shane,
Welcome to the Nordic forum. I think you'll find a wealth of information here about these boats, from fellow performance enthusiasts who are all straight shooters.
The good news is you and the wife like the boat. I love mine. The Nordic isn't the fastest hull out there, but it is FAR from slow. I would rate it well above average.
Regarding mine, it ran 76 with the stock 575 when I bought it. With the AZSM boost kit and prop work I got it to 80. With a Whipple intercooler (6PSI boost), standard length Imco lower, Hydromotive 28" P5-X, and a +1" spacer (deeper) I got 83/85 depending on load. I have 1.5 gears. I am not running a setback box. Not a bad idea, however.
With another buildup this past winter, very similar to yours (hydraulic roller cam/Dart Pro 1s/compression up to 8.25/ECU reprogramming/etc) I got 90 to 94.5 depending on conditions.
I still usually run the Hydromotive, because these boats really like them. I normally turn the P5-X 5800/6000 at 90 to 93. The 32" Merc lab Bravo 1 is only good with a light load, but I did run 94.5 @ 5700 with it back in the spring.
I'm having it repitched to a 31" with more cup hoping to get more RPMS and better load carrying ability.
I agree your motor should be putting out something in the 800+HP range. Based on your current #s (30" B1 @ 5100/82mph), it probably isn't (I would estimate 700ish). Hopefully it's just a tuning issue (air fuel ratio/spark advance/etc). Maybe it's mismatched components. Bob can dyno your motor (he's got propshaft and engine dynos) and find out for sure.
Keep the boat! Bob can get you straightened out. Where do you live?
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 07-24-2007 at 09:14 PM.