Rage hyd steering >

Rage hyd steering

Notices

Rage hyd steering

Old 11-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rage hyd steering

It's almost time to get started on some winter projects. I plan on putting hyd steering on my Rage as well as some trim tabs. My question is, is there a special kit or bracket that moves the mounting point of the steering cylinder to the transom away from the thru hull exhaust? Does anyone have a picture?

Also, is there enough room under the swim platform to mount one of those retracting ladders?
Rage hyd steering-plane-silly.jpg

Last edited by Plane Silly; 11-26-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plane Silly,
I have a Heat, but here's a picture of my transom with your mentioned mods for reference. I hope it helps you.
Regards,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Rage hyd steering-tabs-install-003.jpg  
Old 11-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Registered

Thanks Steve.
It looks like your exhaust is set out wider than mine is, which give you the room for the steering cylinder. I heard somewhere that they make a special bracket for what I am running into.
Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I rigged Brian Gillums Rage with everything. It was very difficult to get it to fit. I had to lower the exhaust mounting much lower than yours to be able to accomodate the trim tabs, ladder and steering ram. Not sure if you'll be able to get it all to work where your exhaust is. Maybe Brain will post a picture of the back of his boat. I can't find one. Nordic told me it couldn't be done with the ladder.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered

Bob and Plane,
I agree on all.
It's tight on mine. My ladder (down) barely clears the tabs when I moved the new ones to the chines. Maybe by an inch or 2 when they are retracted, which is 99% of the time.
I think you can work it out. You may have to go to the "new" swim platform exhaust outlets to make room.
We did this on a friend's Heat, and it worked out great.
Regards,
Steve
Old 11-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, the Rage has a lot less room to work with. The height of the transom is much less. So, what is tight on a Heat is just about impossible on a Rage. It'll take some "engineering".
Old 11-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Registered

Steering is the priority so I'll get that one figured out first. Tabs and the ladder are not must haves.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Registered

I didn't get around to working on steering for my Rage this year. Maybe next spring. Last summer I was talking to the guys at WPM Racing about hydraulic steering on my Rage. It was going to have to be a custom cylinder and custom brackets to work with the location of my exhaust outlets. Just a matter of how much I have to spend!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Registered

I should have mentioned that some manufacturers offer different length steering rams for different applications.
Shorter arms may allow mounting the rams between the drive and exhaust tips. Longer rams may allow mounting beyong exhaust tips.
I have seen (don't know who made them, custom fab?) extensions to bring the transom mounting points out several inches. These were probably designed for keeping the original transom mounting points with setback boxes.
Regards,
Steve
Old 12-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep you posted on what I wind up doing.

Quick Reply: Rage hyd steering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.