exaust turn downs >

exaust turn downs

Notices

exaust turn downs

Old 01-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exaust turn downs

has anyone tried the turn down exaust extensions that come off the back of the boat, and direct the exaust underwater until on plane. If so what size, and how well did it work reducing noice?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by beertruck
has anyone tried the turn down exaust extensions that come off the back of the boat, and direct the exaust underwater until on plane. If so what size, and how well did it work reducing noice?
Have not tried them on a Nordic but from what I have seen they seem to work very well.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Registered

I have a set of turn downs on my Heat. This is FTM (Bob's) old boat. They work great for mine. You can actually talk between one another without shouting! Its great when you have the family and dog out. Shoot me an email and I can send you a [email protected]
Old 01-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a set on my new Flame. They made a huge difference in cockpit noise. I just bought 4" 90 degree SS bends and cut the ends at an angle so they don't hang down. Clamped them on with a short piece of hose. They look good and were not too expensive. They are submerged at idle so it's really quiet. There is room to insert mufflers into them also. For the record I ran my boat on the prop shaft dyno and put some muffler inserts in. It lost 2 HP! This is with 496 Mags. I had previously tested the inserts on a 600HP 540 and they cost about 5 hp. You can buy the Gibson turn downs that clamp on. Just cut the down turn length to whatever you want.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Registered

what was the total height, top to bottom of the extensions?
Also when you say you lost HP, was that with muffler inserts, or just the turn downs.
Love to see any pics anyone has installed.
Had some neighbors last year that did not enjoy the sound of the boat as much as I did, need to keep the peace.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Registered

what was the total height, top to bottom of the extensions?
Also when you say you lost HP, was that with muffler inserts, or just the turn downs.
Love to see any pics anyone has installed.
Had some neighbors last year that did not enjoy the sound of the boat as much as I did, need to keep the peace.
Here's a picture. I'm going to cut them a little shorter though.

The HP loss was from the mufflers. Turn downs don't affect the HP.
Attached Thumbnails exaust turn downs-flame-exhaust.jpg  
Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it quite it any while running?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Linster
Did it quite it any while running?
Tremendously inside the boat. Don't know about outside, probably not much. It did away with all the resonance so all you hear is a nice exhaust tone. This boat just had the tips with external flappers to begin with. If you have longer tips it may not make as much difference.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might try them. I had (3) 22foot Pachanga's. They had the fiberglass mufflers that still gave them some rumble but much more quite. It had a 454, 330HP. I put a 496 old style with Imco exhaust, and it ran great. After a friend saw them and told me they were too restricted. I had Imco make a new set of elbow tops in them to the tune of 2K and I gained 1 mph, maybe 2 at best. It gets tough on twins finding the space in the center of the boat.
Noise is good until you want to listen to some music going down the river.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by bobl
Here's a picture. I'm going to cut them a little shorter though.

The HP loss was from the mufflers. Turn downs don't affect the HP.
Bob,
Your set-up looks great. I tried to install a set of Gibson's on my Flame a couple of years ago, but they were too long and wouldn't fit around my external steering. Looking at your pic, looks like you got around that problem by attaching them with 4" wet exhaust hose. What is that hose lenght? Are the turndowns angle cut on the bottom, like the Gibson's? I think the angle cut was to prevent reversion when in reverse. What length did you end-up cutting them @? Have you tried them yet? I'm really interested in doing this on our Flame, if you could give some details, I would greatly appriecate it. Presently, all I have on our boat is internal flappers and Salibury external flappers.

Thanks,
Dean

BTW, SWEEEEET Looking Flame, what speeds are you seeing with her? I bet whatever speeds she's running, it's only a matter of time, til you start tunning her up!

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 01-28-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Quick Reply: exaust turn downs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.