Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
Ski Pylon Movement >

Ski Pylon Movement

Notices

Ski Pylon Movement

Old 06-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have hit mine all the time. I normally kick it with my foot when I get in a hurry. I hate that dam thing. But I dont think that I would want to take it out. I do like the pic of the boats with out them.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, we abuse them out here and there have been no issues.
There's a 200 foot rope tied to this little Rage launching on the way to Catalina!
(The rope is there I promise...They are very, very thin ropes)

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Ski Pylon Movement-img_5889.jpg  
Old 06-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have exactly the same issues with my ski pole on a 2005 Rage. the billet aluminum ski pole is not rigidly held at the bracket since the attachment bolt tightens to the bracket OD and the pole is loose fit within the bracket ID with the pole pivoting on the through bolt . I removed and repolished my ski pole and found the pole OD worm down considerably from movement against the fiberglass hole it rides against. The fiberglass also has the stress cracks you mention. At this point the pole is quite loose in the mounting/hole. I would like to shim the pole tight some how that would not look bad.

We wake board and pull tubers from this pole a lot. The wake boarding probably caused the pole wear since that accumulates the most hours but the stress cracks are likely due to the tubing partiucularly when the tube dives below the surface because the rider(s) are too far forward. I plan to switch to the transum tie down eyes for tubing.

Originally Posted by Aquaman41
I have a 2005 Nordic Rage. It appears that the ski pylon is loose now. I can move it with my hand and it hits the edges of the fiberglass hole it comes through. It has cause some stress cracks to the stern of the pole which I am sure are due to the pole applying pressure to the fiberglass when skiing or wakeboarding.

I have looked at the mounting bracket in the engine compartment and nothing is obviously damaged. I am unable to tighten any of the mounting bolts on either the attachment to the hull or the bolt through the pylon, but it is difficult to get a good pull due to the cramped location. It simply looks as if there is some play in the metal bracket.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this / prevent it from happening again? Also does anybody know of a good repair facility in Southern California, near Orange County?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Registered

It must have been a Friday when they installed the ski poles on the '05 Rages cause my Dad's is in the same condition.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If this is only a problem with 2005 or recent ski poles maybe there has been a design change. Question for anyone that does not have a ski pole looseness problem and can inspect the ski pole assembly----could you please describe what the bracket configuration looks like.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I asked Nordic about the loosness problem and resulting stress cracks in the gelcoat. They said there was no design change which is not a surprise. The suggested fix is to apply marine putty to the hole ID and then grind the ID down so that the ski pole is a snug fit to eliminate the banging action of the pole against the deck hole.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Registered

Hey I am new to OSO but not to the Nordic Rage. I had and 03 never had a bit of problem with the ski tow, now my 06 is loose an causing stress cracks. I guess I will be in the minority with my buddy In2Deep as I always seem to be pulling a tuber, skier, or boarder.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have three friends with Nordic's, two Rages and a Heat. They all have kids, and they all tow water toys with their boats. I just purchased a 08 Heat, and will be towing my kids around with it.

Thanks about the heads-up on the ski pole possibly coming loose, I will keep an eye on it.

Chris
Old 08-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by N2Lake
Hey I am new to OSO but not to the Nordic Rage. I had and 03 never had a bit of problem with the ski tow, now my 06 is loose an causing stress cracks. I guess I will be in the minority with my buddy In2Deep as I always seem to be pulling a tuber, skier, or boarder.
So you pulled as much/often with the ski pole on the 03 as the 06?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
So you pulled as much/often with the ski pole on the 03 as the 06?

Hard to say as I bought the 03 new and the 06 with about 120 hours on it. The 06 already had some signs of wear, the 03 never even rattled.

Quick Reply: Ski Pylon Movement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.