Sticking with my 32

Notices

Sticking with my 32

Old 08-24-2008, 06:21 AM
sandman
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking with my 32

Well ,im in Africa on contract and got a little bored so I'm passing on my thoughts on to get or not get a new boat.

The folks at Unlimited Marine were very generous in letting my family use an 07 heat for the regatta this summer. I found it to be a very solid easy handling boat, however on the way back from the dam, the water got pretty sloppy and I just didnt get the wave crusher ride that my 32 gives. I guess it's hard to go from a larger boat to a smaller one. My intent was to have a single engine boat to simplify maintenance and operating cost. I guess I'm stuck with twins in anything over 30' to get the ride Im used to. The newer Nordics have lighter more effecient hulls, better power to weight ratios and of course are faster than my old relic but I think Im satisfied with a heavier, slower boat. Cant afford a 35 right now so I'm building a couple of Dart block 509s for a repower and having a teak and holly deck put in the cockpit. This was actually a factory option for the 32. My brother has his own trim and cabinet making business and has been trimming multi million dollar homes for the past 20 years and agreed to do it. A little more wood a little more weight but it should be a show piece for the older Nordics. I cant see it being ready for the next regatta but should be there in 2010 in all it's glory.

What about a name guys? I was thinking of "Has Wood"

Last edited by sandcraft; 08-24-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:37 AM
sandman
Gold Member

2007 Nordic Regatta

Last edited by sandcraft; 02-01-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Registered

Nice to meet you at the regatta. Your boat is bad ass. I would give it a custom paint job and you would never know how old it was. The hull looks like a giant heat
Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 AM
sandman
Gold Member

Thanks John, it was nice meeting you too. Next time we meet, I would like to take a ride in that cat.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Casey,
Nice to see you and the family at the Regatta this year.
Sounds like an interesting project. What happened to the old motors?
The wood floor sounds nice, if it's not too slippery when wet. I guess you could put some abrasive/non slip compound in the clear?
How's Africa???
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 08-26-2008, 10:12 AM
sandman
Gold Member

Dopped a valve in one motor and sold the other to xray50 for his 26 AO cat. He seems to be really satisfied with it. Said it was running 72mph @4000rpm. I did tell him to put inconel valves in it but he said there was no way water could get to the valves.

I was hoping someone from the factory could chime in and explain exactly how a teak floor is put in. Im sure my brother could figure it out but its nice to tap prior experience. My swim platform is teak and isnt slippery at all but its bare wood.

Its nice here in Rwanda, tropical but mild most of the time. Living in a nice apartment with servants and an on call chauffer. If I get a chance to drop in on my brother Ill give you a holler while im up that way.

ttl.......Casey