Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
Did it improve bow lift?
Thanks
Steve
Steve,

With proper outdrive depth, most all of the Bravo ear styled props seem to carry the bow fairly well with this hull. The 5 and 6 blade props are much smoother than a typical 4 bladed Bravo, and seem to carry the whole boat better.

The only time I have experienced stern lift with this boat, is when I have either tried a cleaver style prop, or a prop with a lot of cup. On these occasions, when aproaching speeds of 90+, I could feel the rear of the boat lift and move to one side, like the prop was walking on the water... a scary feeling.

Hope this helps,
Chris
Old 04-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,
Did nordic rig your boat with the 600 new and if so do
you have any pictures of your hatch and seat that you
would share?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Digger,

Yes they did rig my boat new with the 600. But it had a 496 sitting in the engine bay when I ordered the boat, but no interior or rigging.

Here is a picture showing the modifications they did to the front and top of my hatch in order to clear the motor.

Hope this helps,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails Hering Magic-img_2064%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks Chris,
looks great. did they have to more your seat forward or notch it any that you know of?

Aaron
Old 04-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Aaron,

No, I dont think they had to move the seat, they did notch the back of the forward lip of the hatch to clear the pulley on the supercharger.

You are going to love that motor in your boat.
Start with a 28 pitch bravo prop, and make sure that the outdrive lower shaft is aproximately 4-4.5 inches below the pad at the rear of the boat. You should see aproximately 81 mph at about 5400 rpm. Or you can use a 30, which will net you higher cruise speeds, and a top end of 80, at approximately 5100 rpm, but it lugs the motor a little.

Chris

P.S. If you send me your e-mail address, I will send you a prop/spacer table from my boat. [email protected]
Old 04-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default IMCO Water Pressure?

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Hey Chris,
Great #s and a nice looking prop.
Do you still have the 28" P-5X? We are working on Mayor McCheese's 96 Heat, and may be able to run it.
The XD on these older boats was 16#s (really deep), and we just put a 2" Imco shorty on it. As usual, the water pressure went through the roof, and we couldn't run over 3500, so we've order a blowoff valve. We'll test props again next week.
Regards,
Steve
Steve,
What maximum water pressure did you see with the IMCO drive at what rpm/mph? What pressure did you limit to by running at 3500 rpm and set the popoff to?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 04-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks Chris,
Looking forward to it if Nordic ever gets to it. I guess they are to busy with the magic boats to deal with mine right now so loosing my patience a bit. What altitude are you running at?

[email protected]
Aaron
Old 04-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
Steve,
What maximum water pressure did you see with the IMCO drive at what rpm/mph? What pressure did you limit to by running at 3500 rpm and set the popoff to?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill anything over 35PSI in an open cooling system can push water past head gaskets, and in some cases (40+) break the plastic water pump housing. I've run into both with the Imco, as have others. Closed systems I don't know.
The Merc blow off valve is supposed to open @ 35PSI, but my first one wouldn't open until 40. You can reduce the blow off PSI by clipping the internal spring. This is an overpriced little plastic toy ($300), but it can save your motor.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 04-17-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Bill anything over 35PSI in an open cooling system can push water past head gaskets, and in some cases (40+) break the plastic water pump housing. I've run into both with the Imco, as have others. Closed systems I don't know.
The Merc blow off valve is supposed to open @ 35PSI, but my first one wouldn't open until 40. You can reduce the blow off PSI by clipping the internal spring. This is an overpriced little plastic toy ($300), but it can save your motor.
Regards,
Steve
Thanks Steve. I record sea water pressure in the low 40's at WOT with the 496 closed cooling system and a Bravo X1. I think I am free of any plastic parts in the sea water plumbing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.