Whats the best prop for a 28 heat >

Whats the best prop for a 28 heat

Notices

Whats the best prop for a 28 heat

Old 07-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best prop for a 28 heat

I just bought a 2003 Nordic Heat (cuddy) with a 525 and I love it, but it came with a labbed 26 Bravo one prop and I could only run 3/4 throttle without hitting the rev limiter. I tried a B1 28 and was running just under 5000 rpm but my top speed on gps was 71-72. I was expecting to see higher numbers. What would be the best prop fro this boat and is 71-72 all I should expect from this boat??????

Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Registered

jking13

Good luck with your Heat. It's a great boat.
My Heat with 525, came with a B1 28 pitch and ran 77-79 at 5250 rpm after I had the prop cupped to knock the rpms down a bit because it was hitting the limiter. My set-up is with the xr/its outdrive with a 1" drive spacer. Im also at sea level and on salt water. Some say that makes a difference. And some seem to be sceptical of my numbers. I have since changed the gears to a 1.36 and picked up 2-3 mph but sacrificed slightly on the accelleration. I now run a highly modified b1 26 pitch. I've tried a hydromotive p5x but I'm not crazy about the way it makes the boat run.

Does the 03 Heat have the stepped bottom?

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Whats the best prop for a 28 heat-82-025-resized.jpg  
Old 07-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your prop slip is aproximately 15.2% which is too high. Put in a 1" spacer to lower your prop slip, and use a Mercury labbed 28 pitch prop to get your rpm's up around 5100.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 07-13-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Registered

Default welcome aboard

jking,
Welcome to the Nordic forum from nearby Nashvegas. FYI,
our MCPA "FUN" Run is Saturday 7-25 out of Anchor High Marina in Hendersonville on Old Hickory Lake.
Lot of Nordics in this area, and lots of good advice on the board.
You've got a great boat/motor combination but the factory, until recently, has done a poor job of dialing them in.
Fortunately, most of us have been down the same road, so the combinations are known. You could switch to a 5 blade and solve the slip issue, but they are expensive props. The 1" spacer and a worked 28"B1 as mentioned above should be very close. The B1s are plentiful new and used, and much more reasonably priced.
If you need help with parts or service, I recommend EB Marine here in Nashville (615-714-2944). Ask for Eric.
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Registered

Default Thanks

I appreciate everyones info and i have a five blade coming to test. I have read alot of spacers on the forum and it certainly sound like a great option. Does anyone have an estimate of what mph I should be running?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jking13
I appreciate everyones info and i have a five blade coming to test. I have read alot of spacers on the forum and it certainly sound like a great option. Does anyone have an estimate of what mph I should be running?
In our heat, humidity, and sticky water, you should see 75 + or - 1 mph or 2 depending on your load (people/fuel/gear).
This fall with some cooler weather, you should pick up a little speed. These are big boats for a single. The upside is they respond well to additional horsepower (17 HP = 1 mph) and rigging improvements.
Also, try to carry any additional weight behind the CG or step using the back seat storage and floor locker.
If you load the cabin up with gear, you will slow the boat down.
Regards,
Steve
Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Registered

I think the boat you just bought is the one I use to own. Did you buy it from Unlimited Marine? If so I ran a P 5-x 5 blade 25 pitch. If you're interested in the prop I still have it so call me with the specifics. Scott @317-506-4834
Old 07-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by nordictribal
I think the boat you just bought is the one I use to own. Did you buy it from Unlimited Marine? If so I ran a P 5-x 5 blade 25 pitch. If you're interested in the prop I still have it so call me with the specifics. Scott @317-506-4834
Scott,

I did buy the boat from unlimited and I really like what you did with the led lights and it was in great shape. When I was at KY lake it turned heads everywhere I went. I will give you a call tommorow. I would like to hear your input on the boat. What did you trade it in for? Did you get a 35? If so, maybe I can buy that from you in a couple of years. haha.

Joey
Old 07-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
In our heat, humidity, and sticky water, you should see 75 + or - 1 mph or 2 depending on your load (people/fuel/gear).
This fall with some cooler weather, you should pick up a little speed. These are big boats for a single. The upside is they respond well to additional horsepower (17 HP = 1 mph) and rigging improvements.
Also, try to carry any additional weight behind the CG or step using the back seat storage and floor locker.
If you load the cabin up with gear, you will slow the boat down.
Regards,
Steve
Steve,

Great advice!!! I need to get down there and do some boating. It seems that there are alot of knowledgable Nordic owners down your way!

Joey
Old 07-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by raytart
jking13

Good luck with your Heat. It's a great boat.
My Heat with 525, came with a B1 28 pitch and ran 77-79 at 5250 rpm after I had the prop cupped to knock the rpms down a bit because it was hitting the limiter. My set-up is with the xr/its outdrive with a 1" drive spacer. Im also at sea level and on salt water. Some say that makes a difference. And some seem to be sceptical of my numbers. I have since changed the gears to a 1.36 and picked up 2-3 mph but sacrificed slightly on the accelleration. I now run a highly modified b1 26 pitch. I've tried a hydromotive p5x but I'm not crazy about the way it makes the boat run.

Does the 03 Heat have the stepped bottom?

Ray
Ray,

Ya, it has the stepped bottom.

JOEY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.