XR drive ???

Notices

XR drive ???

Old 07-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
cntsmith,
Unfortunately, welcome to the BBC (Busted Bravo Club).
As many of them as I have broken and seen broken, the drive shaft is a new one on me. I would check the engine alignment closely when you reinstall the drive. If it's misaligned (less common with the offshore cradle mount, which you should have with a 525) it could be putting your drive shaft in a bind and fatiguing the metal. Also make sure you have plenty of grease on the splines.
The coupler might be worth a check too.
Regards,
Steve
thank you I am going to work it Friday and maybe pull the motor too. I have the stuff to realign it. It maybe smart for me to just take it in too.
C n T
Old 07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it that means you are not attending the Portland poker run... bummer
I was looking forward to seeing you,

Chris
Old 07-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several likely cause for the input shaft to break off like that.

1) impacting something.
2) shifting gears with elevated rpm or to avoid a collision, etc.
3) drive seizing

I've seen quite a few caused by the second reason. The cause was probably some time before the actual failure. Also you will most likely find twisted splines on the prop shaft and/or the verticle shaft in the drive. Think back to the last few times you used the boat before it broke and see if you can recall any instances of something happening. They don't usually break there from extreme hp or usage.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
There are several likely cause for the input shaft to break off like that.

1) impacting something.
2) shifting gears with elevated rpm or to avoid a collision, etc.
3) drive seizing

I've seen quite a few caused by the second reason. The cause was probably some time before the actual failure. Also you will most likely find twisted splines on the prop shaft and/or the verticle shaft in the drive. Think back to the last few times you used the boat before it broke and see if you can recall any instances of something happening. They don't usually break there from extreme hp or usage.
U Know It has been shifting slow in to the forward gear. Like it could take as long as 15 - 25 seconds. And I think there was a slight nug or tic just before it went??
Well the motor comes out Friday.
thank you Clinton
Old 07-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Registered

Default drive

i would take the drive apart and check out the internals. if nothing else you can wash it out and know what kind of shape it is in. it might of broke a gear and tryed to stack it.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Registered

Smile

Originally Posted by Jerry Sabatino
i would take the drive apart and check out the internals. if nothing else you can wash it out and know what kind of shape it is in. it might of broke a gear and tryed to stack it.
Well guys I think I have bigger problems in that drive. I took the top off just for sh_ts and giggles just to see whats in there. I found two gears with broken teeth and now that I was messing with the gears its locking up. So I am headed to town to get it fixed.
So it looks like I got two weeks to get her fixed.Hey anyone know when the McCoys Poker run is??
So I am going to have to change out the spline cuppler. Anything else I should look at? thank you Clinton
Old 07-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Registered

Sooooo what is the latest on the drive. It all makes more sence now that we know the whole story. Did you take it to Vince??? give me a call one of these night.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by I DIG IT !!
Sooooo what is the latest on the drive. It all makes more sence now that we know the whole story. Did you take it to Vince??? give me a call one of these night.
Well the drive is ALMOST done. Just pulled the motor yesterday and thats a job if you donen't do that alot. Took me all day. Took the cupler off the motor and the spline that was broke off in there had twisted splines. I had to kind a pound it out. I will tAKE A picture later. We are hoping to have it ready to go by thursday so we can make it to the Performance Regatta on Lake Coeur D' Alene this weekend. Talk to you later have a good week. C n T Smith
Old 08-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Registered

I hope you make it out to the party. I have to work OT and can not get out of it. So I will not be there. The weather looks alittle colder than last year but still should be nice. I might make it out sunday it looks to be the best day by far. hope all works out for you. keep in touch !!!!

Brayden
Old 08-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Well the drive is ALMOST done. Just pulled the motor yesterday and thats a job if you donen't do that alot. Took me all day. Took the cupler off the motor and the spline that was broke off in there had twisted splines. I had to kind a pound it out. I will tAKE A picture later. We are hoping to have it ready to go by thursday so we can make it to the Performance Regatta on Lake Coeur D' Alene this weekend. Talk to you later have a good week. C n T Smith
That being the case, and since you have it this far apart, certainly you'll replace the coupler. It's not that expensive, especially compared to what it costs to have a shop replace it. Anything else would be false economy.

Been there, done that.

Pesky Varmint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.