496 to 525 swap in 28 heat? >

496 to 525 swap in 28 heat?

Notices

496 to 525 swap in 28 heat?

Old 09-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 600sci will bolt in just the same as a 525.

Your issues would come with having the supercharger clearing the rear hatch. You can space the rear hatch up some, and do some minor modifications to make it fit.

There are a few guys on here that have added Whipples to their 496's or 525's that have had to deal with this issue... definately doable.

Chris

P.S. I am thinking about selling my 600sci and putting a 598 with a 4.0 whipple on it into the boat.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris, Let me know if you decide to sell it. My "Smoking Deal" fell apart today and I am still looking.

Derek
Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Derek, I've done a couple of these swaps this summer. One in a 28 Heat and one in a 288 Sunsation that is from OK city. I can also get you a decent deal on a new 525 from Merc if you are interested. That's what we did on the Sunsation. The biggest hassle I had was getting all the gauges to work. The 525 uses a 14 pin connector and the boat has a 10 pin harness. You must get an analog gauge interface to make everything work and do some splicing in the harness. You also need to add a 10 ga. fused hot wire to supply power to the dash since the 14 pin harness only uses a 14 ga. wire and 15 amp fuse. You can also use your standard motor mounts. The offshore mount is better, but not necessary in a pleasure/lake boat. If you've got the corner exhaust you'll need custom tail pipes. I ordered some through Nordic/CMI. They still didn't fit correctly and I had to cut and weld one of the tips to make them work. Give me a call if I can help you in any way.

I also have a complete Raylar 525 496 available if you might be interested.

Bob
830 6935591