nordic heat at higher speeds >

nordic heat at higher speeds

Notices

nordic heat at higher speeds

Old 09-19-2009, 02:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nordic heat at higher speeds

Ok everyone first time posting on here, but been reading on here for about 3 months now and i just sold my baja 275 with a merc 575 yesterday, i talked to nordic earlier today about ordering a new heat. i'm planning to fit it with the ilmor 725/indy combo or the 600 merc for next spring. Anyway my questions are, #1. how well does the heat handle at speeds over 80, i know my baja handled like crap, our river is preaty calm 7" to 1' waves most of the time. #2. whats the best way to quiet the exhaust down on the 725's. We have 3 kids between 3 and 13 that like to tube, i can't have loud exhaust in there face the whole time, plus thats the only stipulation my wife gave me on the new boat is it can't be loud all the time and i don't mind if its quiet anyways. #3. How much wind are the kids going to get pounded with on the back seat from the mid cabin being open if we go with the open bow. And any other suggestions or oppions from the brain power on here will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, JD
Old 09-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First the open bow question...

Having an open bow on this boat makes it the most family boat I have ever seen. We get comments all the time about what a versatile and neat boat we have.

I have five kids ranging between 10 and 19. None of them have ever complained about the wind at speed. My girls get cold in the evening during the ride home, and because of this, I had a sumbrella door made for between the open bow and the mid cabin. This installs in about 30 seconds, and is a far faster and easier thing to do than installing the bow cover. On that note, my boat is about 3 mph slower with the bow cover off.

Make sure you get trim tabs.. it makes pulling the kids on innertubes and wakeboards easier because you can plane down to about 14 mph.

Engine:

A stock 600sci will get you to between 80 and 81 mph when the outdrive depth is set up properly. A stage II whipple upgrade will get you to between 91 and 92 consistantly. I have been working on Jim's Illmore 700 boat as well, so I can comment on that. The 700 Illmore will get you a consistant 87-88 mph, and is quieter than the 600sci. I also think that the Illmore boat handles a little better because of the reduced engine weight. A 725 should be one or two mph faster because of the additional horsepower. I have heard that the Indy drive is more efficient than a Bravo style drive, so I would guess that you would be in the low to mid 90's with this option. The only down sides to the Indy drive are cost, and the fact that Nordic has not done this setup yet. Plus there is the fact that the Indy spins #6 style props which cost between 3.5k and 5k as compared to bravo style probs being in the $600-$1200 dollar range. The other down side to the Illmore motor is that there is no upgrade path. ie.. I am planning on doing a Whipple stage IV upgrade this winter which should net me over 850 hp and hopefully over 100mph.

Handling:

The Heat is a fantastic handling boat stock, up to about 86 mph. After that, setup is crucial (prop depth and style of prop) in order to maintain stability. They will start to slowly chine walk when trimmed up too far at speeds above 86 or so. The Heat also will litterly eat up most rough water while feeling very in control.

Overall, I absolutely love my Heat. I jokingly call it my 90mph wake boarding boat. It just does about everything very well. I am consistantly the fastest single engine v-hull at the poker runs I have attended. I know there are faster ones out there, but we have as of yet crossed paths. With the bow open, I have had 12 teenagers on the boat, and it did great. We get compliments on the boat wherever we go.

I think you will be happy whichever way you go on the motor. The boat handles better at speed with an IMCO lower if you go the bravo drive route.
If you want setup recommendations, give me a call: 206-235-4545

Hope this helps,

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 09-19-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Registered

thank you cb-blr for the reply, i got an e-mail today that they have a boat with the colors and options that i want getting ready to go into rigging, they suggested if i want the ilmor to go with the 710 setup, instead of waiting for the 725, cause who knows when i would be able to get the 725, and i want to be on the water in the spring, but if i wanted to wait they said that would be fine too. I'm wanting to be in the 600-700hp range, but not to crazy about chargers after my 575sci in my baja, had some bad luck with it, i would like to keep it simple this time and those are my options.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Chris
Gold Member

The whipple on the 600sci is a far cry from what was on a 575. I would never own a supercharged motor other than one with a Whipple on it. Absolutely zero problems. That being said.. If you don't want to mess with the engine at all (modification wise), I would go with the Illmor. It is a really sweet engine.

How much more do they want for the 725 over the 710?

If you go with the 710, I would mate it to a IMCO SC drive. Both Jim (710 boat) and I, have that drive, and have had no problems. Have them set your propshaft depth at 3.5 inches below the keel, and prop it with a 27 pitch Hydromotive P5x. You should be able to hit between 87 and 89 mph with no handling issues, and still have an easy time towing the kids on watertoys.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 09-19-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Registered

really, i thought the 575 and 600 were preaty much the same, shows what i know about the 600. how many hours should ya get on a 600sci before ya need to rebuild it, at normal cruisin? all i seem to hear is something going wrong with a sc engine. I dont know what the price dif is yet i didn't ask. i think the quote i have is for the 710 but they sent it as a email and its to small to see i cant make it bigger so i have to call them monday morn and find out the rest. Its suppose to rain this week so i might take a run down to the factory to check things out, and maybe find someone to take me for a ride in one before i commit to anything. Hate to get the thing and not like it, i dont think that would happen, but ya never know. Droppin this kind of money on a boat makes me kinda nervous. JD

Last edited by jdscj8; 09-20-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Registered

Welcome to the Nordic Forum JD. As another former Baja owner who also upgraded to a Heat, I think you'll be pleased.
The Nordics have more efficient hulls, and I think look and handle better too. Chris has spent a lot of time working on his and his threads have some valuable information.
Mine handles so well that I can take my hands off the wheel @ 90 in calm water, not that I recommend it.
Although I am a Mercury fan, I agree the Illmore's are a nice piece too. I'm with Chris, if you want to go non SC, the 710/725s are pretty cool. If you get the speed bug, like most of us, the sky's the limit with the 600 or 700 Mercs (well actually the Bravo drive is the limit )...........
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 09-20-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Chris
Gold Member

There are a lot of differences between the 575 and the 600. Basically starting at the top; The 575 has throttle body injection, and the 600 has direct injection in the manifold. The 575 has a roots style blower, the 600 has a whipple. The 600 has an inner-cooler, and the 575 has none. The 575 has steel heads, and the 600 has aluminum. The 575 is raw water cooled, and the 600 has closed cooling(which is nice if you run in salt water). The 600 has smart-craft which monitors every variable on the motor, and adjusts the motor to output 600 horsepower at the prop regardless of elevation or temperature.

My stock 600sci would do 81mph at sea level at 51 degree air temperature, and 81 mph at 4000 ft elevation at 102 degree air temperature. No naturally aspirated (illmore) engine will do that.

The 600 is a much more sophisticated motor than the 575, and maintenance records by mercury have shown that it is much more reliable.

All that being said... If you are not going to upgrade your motor, and just want to leave it alone, I would go with the Illmore package.

Hope this helps,

Chris

p.s. I absolutely love my boat! I don't think there is a more versatile or good looking marine platform out there for family boating with the need for speed and handeling

Last edited by CB-BLR; 09-20-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Registered

Go with the 600 merc. Trust me
Old 09-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Originally Posted by johnlomant
Go with the 600 merc. Trust me
I talked to John recently, and he has a valid point...

Once the Illmore goes out of warranty... if the motor goes south.... it is going to be REALLY expensive to fix compared to a Merc motor.

I am also quite sure that the getting the boat with a 600sci will save you quite a bit of money on the purchase price of the boat over an Illmore motor.

If I were to do it all over again... I would get the Merc 600sci with an IMCO outdrive.. An SCX upper, with a SC lower.. you would then have a bullet-proof drive package.

Chris

p.s. 7" to 1 ft chop or waves will be like non-existant with this hull. The ride is fantastic in these conditions.

Last edited by CB-BLR; 09-20-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 575 doesn't have a innercooler,they say the iat it always real high,and don't run in boost just cruising.

Depends ,I would do the 525 efi and put the Whipple kit,make a easy 700+ and be reliable.

ck the price diff over the 525 plus the Whipple vs the 600.what about the 700 with the NTX.no drive problems....

remember ALL bravo style drive break!!

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.