Help with Identifying the motor in my Nordic

Notices

Help with Identifying the motor in my Nordic

Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
Call Merc Tech Line and ask then to ID the SN
Thanks Rage, I called Merc today and they told me that it is a 1990 454 (350HP). It's not the original engine to the boat, it was first registered in a 1991 Eliminator Edge! I'm going to try and contact the original owner & see if I can find out more info.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rydda1
hey shady ! i too have a 96' scandia closed bow that was bone stock when purchased and doesnt look like yours. i think the billet add-ons are aftermarket (looks bad ass too) and the exhaust manifolds and carb dont look like merc. either.....my boat came w/ a 7.4 330 hp that was only gettn 55-58mph...what kind of #'s u pushin w/the 8 ltr ? Rydda 1 Go Nordic !!!
Thanks for the compliments!! The billet is all from Eddie Marine, the headers/risers are EMI Thunder and not sure what else has been done to the motor. The guy I bought it from is not the original owner and he was told that it was a Stock 8.1 (which it isn't). I am getting 67 MPH by the speedo, gonna try it out with GPS to see if that is accurate.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SlimShayD
Thanks for the compliments!! The billet is all from Eddie Marine, the headers/risers are EMI Thunder and not sure what else has been done to the motor. The guy I bought it from is not the original owner and he was told that it was a Stock 8.1 (which it isn't). I am getting 67 MPH by the speedo, gonna try it out with GPS to see if that is accurate.
67 mph is a strong number i just got rebuilt w/ all new goodies and cant wait to get in the water....i'm told high 60's is what i shoujd expect....i'll keep u posted. how do you post picts, and a avitar?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Registered

Yeah 67 is pretty strong, I kinda expect that number to go down a little when I run it with the GPS. I just got the boat last week and have only ran it once!

To post an avatar go into your member options and you can select a generic avatar or upload a custom one!

To post pictures in a thread you have to post using the "Advanced Reply" option. Then there is a button to "Manage Attachements" you can upload photos there. (it also depends on your membership level, on some plans you can't post pics)
Old 10-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Registered

Cool

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Slim Shady,
I think you have a gen 6 454 with aftermarket bolt ons.
Maybe some internal work. Have you talked to the former owner?
Welcome to the Nordic forum. Pretty boat.
Best Regards,
Steve
Thanks Steve,
OK I got in touch with the the previous owner (twice removed). He is the one that installed the motor. It looks like the boat came with a stock 330HP 7.4 and 75 hours ago, he built the 1990 Mark IV 365 HP 454 Mag and added all of the aftermarket parts. Here is what he remembered: Fresh rebuild, milled the original sq. port heads, new timing gear/chain, S.S. water pump, new drive coupler, blueprinted 24P 4-blade prop, drive shower, EMI polished headers, (4) Optima batteries, etc.

Not an 8.1 as I was told, but doesnt seem like a bad thing! What are your thoughts?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a nice strong motor.

Chris
Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SlimShayD
Thanks Steve,
OK I got in touch with the the previous owner (twice removed). He is the one that installed the motor. It looks like the boat came with a stock 330HP 7.4 and 75 hours ago, he built the 1990 Mark IV 365 HP 454 Mag and added all of the aftermarket parts. Here is what he remembered: Fresh rebuild, milled the original sq. port heads, new timing gear/chain, S.S. water pump, new drive coupler, blueprinted 24P 4-blade prop, drive shower, EMI polished headers, (4) Optima batteries, etc.

Not an 8.1 as I was told, but doesnt seem like a bad thing! What are your thoughts?
Nothing wrong at all with what you have. Actually a lot of the aftermarket blocks (Dart/World-Merlin) are based on Gen IVs.
Why I don't know (I would have gone Gen VI). The 454s are tough, long lasting motors. If you do get the bug for a 496" 1/4" stroker, it's pretty easy to do, and would result in a nice increase in torque and horsepower. In addition to the 1/4" stroker crank, you'll also need longer rods and new pistons. Or, you could also pick up a 502". I see them for sale all the time in classifieds.
Short term, go to lake, drink beer, and just enjoy the boat ..........
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 10-20-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Registered

I've been thinking about the aftermarket Gen IV blocks, vs the Factory Gen VI. GM/Chevrolet doesn't have a manual fuel pump boss on the Gen VI blocks, I assume because they were switching over to EFI from carbs, and generally used electric fuel pumps in the automotive side.
Since most of these high performance blocks (Merlin/Dart) are used for automotive applications (like drag cars), they needed that manual fuel pump mounting boss for carb applications, also good for the marine side. Is there any other reason Dart and Merlin based their aftermarket blocks on Gen IV, Dave, Bob? Just curious.
Regards,
Steve
Old 10-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Nothing wrong at all with what you have. Actually a lot of the aftermarket blocks (Dart/World-Merlin) are based on Gen IVs.
Why I don't know (I would have gone Gen VI). The 454s are tough, long lasting motors. If you do get the bug for a 496" 1/4" stroker, it's pretty easy to do, and would result in a nice increase in torque and horsepower. In addition to the 1/4" stroker crank, you'll also need longer rods and new pistons. Or, you could also pick up a 502". I see them for sale all the time in classifieds.
Short term, go to lake, drink beer, and just enjoy the boat ..........
Regards,
Steve
Thanks Steve, That is just what I plan to do! I need a season to get used to it anyway. It handles a little different from my last to boats (34 Sea Ray & 30 Rinker)....