Oil temp sender >

Oil temp sender

Notices

Oil temp sender

Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

That's the thing, the moisture is inconsistant. @ PV that day, it was bad in the morning & by the time we left, after running hard to keep up w/ Jon & being passed by the big boys, it was pretty clean. Other days it's non-existant, other days it's there. I've also changed oil to Valvoline VR1. That made some difference compared to cheaper stuff (cheap because I changed every 3-5 hrs until I found my problem). I think it depends on idle time/hammer time & the water temp, lots of variables I haven't kept good track off. I replaced the t-stat restrictor last night w/ a 5/8" hole from 3/4". I don't see 1/8" making that much diff, we'll see Saturday.

Tim was probably running 85-90 that day when we evened the load. I've seen 82-83 any day there, 84 personal best, but I'm only turning 5100 w/ my 32, lots left.

My 28p ran 5700 @ Starvation a couple weeks ago, but over revs @ 4500'. I didn't have my GPS on, but I'm sure I was in the 80's w/ bow cover off. I was grinning ear to ear @ that elevation (5700') I had a hard time keeping my sunglasses attached.

Seems to make LOTS more power around 5500! I think a 30 is what I need, should get me to 5400-5600 @ Utah, 86-87mph. That's fast enough for a daily driver.

I've wanted a chance to run hard @ Havasu, but I always have too many people & too much in the cooler. 88 @ 5300 was the best on the Columbia before the new motor & labbed prop. I should top 90 now.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Hey Chris,
Just curious, did you upgrade the heat exchanger? I did a 496HO whipple upgrade and installed the large Sendure HE and it struggled to keep up with the heat transfer.
Your temps look great!
Dave
Dave,
We are using the stock heat exchanger so far. We removed the innercooler water line off the stock system, and opened up the exhaust restrictors so that we could get maximum flow. The innercooler has its own pickup and strainer now, which dropped my intake temps from about 145 deg on a hot day... down to around 90-95 deg.

Chris
Old 07-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 5/8 vs 3/4 will restrict your water by 30%. You should see a pressure increase.
The 5/8 seems to work well on most setups but pickup types change everything as well.

How far is Starvation time wise from SLC?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
Dave,
We are using the stock heat exchanger so far. We removed the innercooler water line off the stock system, and opened up the exhaust restrictors so that we could get maximum flow. The innercooler has its own pickup and strainer now, which dropped my intake temps from about 145 deg on a hot day... down to around 90-95 deg.

Chris
Great intake temps! Are you running the MOAC?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great intake temps! Are you running the MOAC?
Stock Merc 600sci innercooler.. outfitted with Whipple's AN-12 fittings in and out as compared to the stock 1/4 inch fittings. In stock configuration, the innercooler lines were necked down so as to not steal very much water from the heat exchanger. The innercooler line fed off a fitting on the power stearing cooler. Overall, the stock system was a joke... but then it was only making 589 horsepower out of a supercharged 502.

Chris
Old 07-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Registered

The 5/8 vs 3/4 will restrict your water by 30%. You should see a pressure increase.
The 5/8 seems to work well on most setups but pickup types change everything as well.

How far is Starvation time wise from SLC?
It's a little over 2 hrs. Just outside Duchesne or about 30 min past Strawberry, hour past Deer Creek. It's one of my favorites, one of the few lakes you can park the RV on the beach & leave the boat in the water.

30% Would get me right on the money 25lbs. My pickup is a little different than others I've seen. It's a 1 1/4" hole right on the pad running surface w/ a little lip that directs water up rather than the transom types others use. It seems to work well though. I've added a strainer, but that didn't affect my pressure. It's kinda nice that the impeller rarely starts dry since the strainer has water in it to start + it's a nice place to run the hose or fill 4 gallons antifreeze for winter.

Kinda funny, I was looking through the Whipple manual & it's dated Dec. 2002 & calls for 30min, 40max lbs. Those #'s have obviously changed, 40 sounds dangerous!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
On my closed cooled motor... antifreeze temp inside the block stays a constant 140 deg when running, and goes up to 152 deg at idle. Oil temp is a consistant 180-190 deg.
In my case...water pressure obviously is not an issue being that it just is a measure of water flow across the heat exchanger, but water pressure is aproximately 42 psi at WOT.. speed is 100 mph +/-

Chris
Chris,

When seeing oil temp range = or < 190F have you been running at WOT longer than 15 min? Sorry if that is a dumb question in your case but is pertinent to my situation. What size oil cooler are you running?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Registered

I ran yesterday @ Utah with the 5/8" restrictor. Lake temp is about 78-80*, air 90-95*. I saw my temp go +20-30* higher than I've seen in the past, near 130* on short WOT runs. It came down quickly & never rang the alarm, but seemed a little scary. Oil stayed the usual 160-180*. I still saw some condensation in valve covers & I'm at a loss. As always, pan looks great. I leave oil caps off after trailering, & by the next time out it clears up except tiny amounts in the low valleys, so it appears it eventually evaporates. Do any of you guys look inside your valve covers after a run? I'm thinking of resuming the 3/4" restrictor now that the water/air are peak summer temp to keep temps lower. I also saw my wp spike to 30-32 on 1 WOT run, but usually stayed around 20-25. Temps all around under the hatch seemed warmer than usual, but not dangerously hot. I could still rest my hand on headers or any other part. Any ideas? Do I maybe need more breather? Are you guys seeing 20*+ warmer water temps this time of year?