496HO Engine Upgrade Project Complete

Notices

496HO Engine Upgrade Project Complete

Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
I sold my four blades off. I did have one that worked pretty well, which was labbed by Throttle Up (unfotunately no longer working on other manufacturers props), but it still fell off with a load. 4 blades are more weight sensitive on Heats with high X dimensions. With the P5-Xs, there is very little difference in performance. The extra blade area carries the longer/heavier Heat much better.
Best Regards,
Steve
Steve,
A follow up question....was there any difference in the prop torque between your P5-X and your four blade Bravo that required different amount of counter balancing weight to balance the hull?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rage
Steve,
A follow up question....was there any difference in the prop torque between your P5-X and your four blade Bravo that required different amount of counter balancing weight to balance the hull?
It still had some right hard rotation, roll to port effect, even with the 4 blades, but it wasn't as pronounced. I had some extra cup added to my four blades to try and lock them up better, for more lift and less slip.
Since the 5 blades lock up much better, they also have the side effect of more torque roll. It isn't bad once you get the boat balanced for it. The upside is more efficient hole shot/plane off, less midrange slip %, better loaded top end #s, and more consistent handling on my boat, regardless of water conditions, smooth, choppy, or rough.
Regards,
Steve
Old 12-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill, and others with Rages. Please keep in mind the Rage and Heat are totally different boats. I've owned both, and you drive them totally different. They react different to trim, props and water conditions. Heats generally have a lot of prop slip, especially at lower speeds. The Rage does not. So the information Steve, myself and others relate about the Heat does not necessarily apply to the Rage.

Also, remember last time you tried my 5 blade it cost you a drive...

Bob
Old 12-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Registered

George,

Thank you for the input. I know no one with those props. It is amazingly nice of you to offer to lend me your Hering to test. I may take you up on that at some point since Bblabes can put more bow lift into mine as well but I am hesitant at this point because others have run props with too much built in bow lift on a Rage and had drive ability problems. So again thank you. What pitch is your Hering?
25.5 pitch
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Registered

Thank you Bob! Yes I think I would like to try your 28P5x versus my B30 next June. I should be able to data log the GPS mph vs rpm vs throttle vs trim at 1 second intervals by then. I may have to do the runs at dawn to avoid the in season boat traffic but that is doable. Thanks.

PS When you get done with your winter engine upgrades you may want that 29 back except that you will be turning more r's.
Bob,
If you need the 29 back just let me know its just a back up prop for me.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bobl
Bill, and others with Rages. Please keep in mind the Rage and Heat are totally different boats. I've owned both, and you drive them totally different. They react different to trim, props and water conditions. Heats generally have a lot of prop slip, especially at lower speeds. The Rage does not. So the information Steve, myself and others relate about the Heat does not necessarily apply to the Rage.

Also, remember last time you tried my 5 blade it cost you a drive...

Bob
Thanks Bob. Yes that lesson I will not soon forget. I am trusting that the upgrade from the 425hp rated Bravo X1 upper gears to the 600 hp rated XR upper gears will give me a little more latitude to just test a five blade for bow lift performance. I will never own one though.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Registered

I am trusting that the upgrade from the 425hp rated Bravo X1 upper gears to the 600 hp rated XR upper gears
What else have you done to the B1x? I have a Raylar HO600 (dyno'd 660 HP) on a 2004 B1x (stock) and have yet to have an issue (knock on wood) but it is off to Mr. Gadgets this off season to be strengthened as best as possible. The boat is a 6000 lbs (loaded up) single engine Baja 25 OL.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Baja_man
What else have you done to the B1x? I have a Raylar HO600 (dyno'd 660 HP) on a 2004 B1x (stock) and have yet to have an issue (knock on wood) but it is off to Mr. Gadgets this off season to be strengthened as best as possible. The boat is a 6000 lbs (loaded up) single engine Baja 25 OL.
After the XR gears the best thing I did was add a Simrek Halo Max drive shower. Before that I learned that with the Nordic supplied drive shower the drive lube and the engine crank case oil were having a race to see which could get hotter faster at WOT. It was basically a tie when I would chicken out and shut down at 270F. I had no problems with the X1 drive until I tried Bob's five blade Hydromotive (with much less slip) and also forgot the rule to not give more than 50% throttle during plane out/hole shot.

Do you have an engine oil temperature gauge? If yes what oil cooler do you run and is the oil temperature measured before or after the oil cooler? What is the max oil temp you see during extended WOT running and how long is that WOT run time?
Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by goebel1
25.5 pitch
George, What is your max engine HP at what rpm? What rpm do you turn that 25.5 pitch Hering at what lake elevation?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 12-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Registered

Do you have an engine oil temperature gauge? If yes what oil cooler do you run and is the oil temperature measured before or after the oil cooler? What is the max oil temp you see during extended WOT running and how long is that WOT run time?
I do not have an oil temp gauge. The oil cooler is the stock unit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.