496HO Engine Upgrade Project Complete >

496HO Engine Upgrade Project Complete

Notices

496HO Engine Upgrade Project Complete

Old 12-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
I had no problems with the X1 drive until I tried Bob's five blade Hydromotive (with much less slip)
I have heard similar stories with bravo drives, I have no desire to even try a 5 blade.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Baja_man
I do not have an oil temp gauge. The oil cooler is the stock unit.
George, That is not a good thing with your hp if you ever run more that an extremely brief WOT run. Yours was my oil cooler setup at first at 625hp and during long WOT runs the oil pressure dropped to very low level at WOT because the oil got very very hot..... estimate ~300F+ since I had no gauge then either. At those temps the oil viscosity drops to that of water and the oil itself gets damaged especially if it is not an extreme duty synthetic like M1 V Twin 20W50. Later when I upgraded the oil lines and fittings to AN10 and added a 3x18 oil cooler and an oil temperature gauge I discovered fried orings and gaskets from those runs. Also the stock 496 Merc oil line system has three inverted flare fittings that dramatically restrict oil flow so oil gets hot really fast with bigger hp at WOT. When the bigger oil cooler was installed with the stock lines and the WOT oil temps did not improve it was because the oil flow was so restricted. The AN10 lines were then added and big improvement. I still can not get enough oil flow at extended WOT runs to keep things cool do to the bearing clearance now being the restriction.

Last edited by Rage; 12-29-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default A/F,MAP,TPS versus rpm - final cal #B4

I never posted the final ECU cal A/R. Attached.
Attached Files
Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
during long WOT runs the oil pressure dropped to very low level at WOT because the oil got very very hot..
I do run M1 and have never had an issue with oil pressure. I have run it WOT for an extended time with no issues to date. I will look into a larger oil cooler with an addinga oil temp gauge this off season.