Stereo Question (sub in particular) >

Stereo Question (sub in particular)

Notices

Stereo Question (sub in particular)

Old 08-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Question (sub in particular)

I thought I'd seen a thread and pics here about stereo installs -- specific to subwoofer locations, setups, etc., but after searching here I can't find it. So, apologies in advance for failing on the self-serve front.

I'm patching together a skunkworks stereo upgrade, and am a bit stumped about where...and how...to place a subwoofer in the Heat. Add that I'm not a stereo guru...and you can see chances for a hack job is high. Want to avoid this.

My general idea is

- a head-unit replacement (bought a near-new one off Craigslist last night)

- 6 channel amp (bought a nice one off Craigslist today).

- Straight swap for better 6.5" round speakers, in the same location as the current/stock 4 speakers there. Haven't found speakers yet. I may slap two more up by the helm and passenger side -- for better underway soundage.

- ADD a subwoofer (10"?), with dedicated mono sub amp - or bridged from the 6 channel amp I purchased.

So, those of you with a sub, or subs, in your Heat -- I'm all ears and eyes (pics appreciated).

Ideally, for clean install purposes, I think I'd like the sub to go in the vertical facing of the rear bench (I supposed I'd need to construct a box to surround this speaker) -- unless there's a better solution. I don't want to use the storage space under the step-up to the open bow -- which is one approach I've heard of.

Ideas and thought starters appreciated.

David
Old 08-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Registered

i've taken some measurements on mine and i'm going to do 2 - 12's under the back seat and 4 - 6.5's somewhere up high in the side panels

if you do 2 boxes under the back seat (1 on each side of the batteries) you can get 1.5 cu ft per box\woofer. that's perfect for a pair of low wattage thunder 5000 MTX 12's or something similar. they sound really good in a boat and don't hog your reserve battery power. plus, by having a box on each side of the batteries, you can still get access to them. i just replaced mine this year and they were NOT fun to get out w/ my existing setup.

i currently have 4 - 6.5's and a single 10" sub under my back seat all in separate enclosures... you can barely hear it when it's on a plane.

i'm going to move my 6.5's up front (1 below the throttle and 1 below the passenger front cup holder) then 1 on each side panel in the back next to the back seat somewhere above the gas tank

Last edited by nedpoole; 08-25-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Registered

I have a rage OB...I put two tens under the back seat and two twelves in a custom box where the cooler goes....carry a soft cooler now in the locker. 3 pairs of sixes two mounted up high right by the driver and the passenger. upgrades in the mid cabin and two in the open bow area. We built custom boxes under the back seat to accomadate the tens as well and removed the pair of sixes. Two 1800 watt amps for the four subs and a four channel amp for the sixes mounted in the engine compartment. sounds great!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Registered

I added a 12" sub up in the cabin. Sounds decent & is easily removed & kept completly stock. I cut a template out of cardboard then xfered to wood & carpet covered with a nice matching grill then screwed tight to storage opening.I have a picture of it in the classified. I also added 3 1/2" in the open bow in the bulkhead below the seats. Not much, but gives the passengers there something to hear.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o35363-en.html

Last edited by 90mphRAGE; 08-25-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Registered

You don't have to have an enclosure for the subs if you use an infinite baffle sub like the JL Audio 10IB. The enclosed subs are a great idea but I just wanted to mention another option.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Registered

DH in the 04 Rage I had 4 pair of 6.5s and two Infinity free air subs in the step down area. Not in the front but cut holes into the back part so that the subs used the in floor storage between the driver passenger as a box. That system rocked hard.

In the current Rage I have 2 JL free air subs in the stock 5.5 rear bench location with the now 6.5 speakers relocated inboard of the subs. Both times I used a 1000 watt mono amp on the subs, it will hit harder than trying to use one amp for all the speakers. I intend to put 2 more sets of 6.5 wet sound speakers up high by the driver/passenger and in the open bow area. The 6.5s run off of a 600 watt 4 channel.

I wish I had some pics, but in a week it will be more like pass me a drink instead of film at 11:00.

I think the Infinity subs hit harder than the JL subs, but it may be due to the location provided a better atmosphere for the subs to operate.

Last edited by N2Lake; 08-26-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 05R1
if you do 2 boxes under the back seat (1 on each side of the batteries) you can get 1.5 cu ft per box\woofer. that's perfect for a pair of low wattage thunder 5000 MTX 12's or something similar. they sound really good in a boat and don't hog your reserve battery power. plus, by having a box on each side of the batteries, you can still get access to them. i just replaced mine this year and they were NOT fun to get out w/ my existing setup.

I wonder if I can build boxes around the free airs to make them hit harder.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by N2Lake
I wonder if I can build boxes around the free airs to make them hit harder.
only thought i would have there is if the free air woofer wants more volume than standard ones when building a box. if not, in my experience, woofers w/ an enclosure have always hit harder and were more efficient than ones w/o
Old 08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

This is great stuff. Thanks everyone. Definitely helps with my education.

I picked up a JL 6-channel amp (6x 70W at 4 ohms / 6x 110W at 2 Ohms), and 2x Boston Acoustic 8" subs. Package deal also came with an Infiniti 200W Monoblock amp. All this preowned equipment looks to be in excellent shape.

Next is to find 6.5" speaks. 4 or 6. not sure.

This is turning out to be the "design on a dime" version of frankensten boat stereo builds. My goal, reasonably good equipment, all pre-owned and purchased off Craigslist -- at 25% of cost of new -- that brings a smile to my face when cranked.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Registered

Wait to you see and hear Bob's....when he gets it back.

4 JL Audio 10",
3 JL Audio amps (2 mono and 1 6-channel)
8 JL Audio 6.5" componet sets
1 JL Audio head unit with an IPOD interface
2 remotes

If you would like pictures I would be happy to email them to you.

Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.