Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerry, engine details?
Old 09-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Registered

Here is a picture of Jerry's run i shot. I was directly across from the finish line buoy's. When we rolled up Saturday morning we tried to find some other nordics to tie up with but we did not see any. I saw three other Nordics on Saturday but did not have a chance to chat with them.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2962fea.jpg

Jt
Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Registered

Default engine

well it is a gm block bored and stroked to a 540 it has dart 310 heads which i ported myself intake is a edelbrock single plane victor setup with fuel injection , i run a vortech f4 supercharger blowing through a throttle body at 9lbs of boost. bottom end has a one of callies crank (long story on that) manley rods je pistons (dished) crane 741 with 74 swap 12 quart oil pan crank scraper and windage tray. and all the other little goodies . my friend eric beaty at eb marine took the time to dyno and program the motor for me specs were at 5900 rpm it made 922hp and 862lbs of torque we could have tuned on it alittle more but we were out of time.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerry,

You and I are going almost exactly the same speed... with almost exactly the same horsepower and torque.

My 502 made 931hp and 6100 rpm... and 867 tq at 4500-4700 rpm.

Best speed to date is 100.2 mph.. typically 97-99 mph.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 09-02-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Registered

it's amasing how close they are for totaly diffrent setups i would like to see what i would make with 12lbs of boost. oh and i still have the extension box on the boat i realy like the way it rides and handles now that it is figured out. i dont under stand how you are running a shorty and getting bow lift.

Last edited by Jerry Sabatino; 09-02-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jerry Sabatino
it's amasing how close they are for totaly diffrent setups i would like to see what i would make with 12lbs of boost. oh and i still have the extension box on the boat i realy like the way it rides and handles now that it is figured out. i dont under stand how you are running a shorty and getting bow lift.
Jerry,

I have come to understand that a stepped hull is supposed to plane out on a line parralel to the line determined by drawing a line from the lowest point on the step... to the back of the pad. The outdrive is not supposed to carry the hull... only provide propulsion. If you try to plane out either above or below this plane line... you are fighting the stepped hull design, and scrubbing off speed.

I have also come to understand that every Heat that I have worked on (and it is a few now), are balanced slightly differently, and thus require different setups. This setup is not only determined by the weight balance, but also the speed of the boat..ie my boat setup is different at 100 mph, that it was at 80mph. As testiment to this also... the only other Heat that has an extension box that I know off, belongs to one of the guys that works for IMCO. His prop height is about 1/2" above the bottom of the boat, and he goes about 92 mph with around 800 horsepower. I have seen this boat on the water, and it works very well.

I also agree that once the bug bites... not amount of boost seems enough for very long...to this end...my motor is now down at the Whipple compound being worked on for the final stage of upgrade...which is the inclusion of a 1/4 inch Callies stroker crank.... 540 here I come!

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 09-05-2010 at 02:58 PM.