Time to test the Whipple!! >

Time to test the Whipple!!

Notices

Time to test the Whipple!!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to test the Whipple!!

OK, Not as early as I would have liked to started prop testing, but the weather has sucked..... Here's where we are starting, 525 w/stage 2 whipple (800hp??), Bravo 1 XR w/1" space (propshaft 3.5" below keel), and a 1.5 ratio gears. I have a labbed 28 B1 and a stock B1 32 in the shop. I'm sure the labbed 28 is out since I used it last year with a stock 525. Any and all input is helpful to get this thing right in the next few weeks. I will try the 32 first and post some numbers. What are the odds I'll have to go to a 1.36 drive?

Derek

Old 05-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered

Did you have to move the seat forward and the hatch up?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Registered

Default Seat

I didn't have to cut the back seat at all, It clears by about an inch. I did have to cut the hatch. The bottom pad on the hatch had to be modified, which was a very easy deal. He cut the downturn in the fiberglass, cut out alot of the foam on the piece that is inset between the top cover and the back seat, installed a piece of a 2x4 or 2x6, notched it out to clear, then gel coated it back in. Upholstery guy did it all for $250, and you can't tell unless you're looking for it. I meant to take pics and forgot. I will post em soon.

Derek
Old 05-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking install. Looking forward to reading about your performance results!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered

Anyone have any thoughts on the XR Drive? Am I gonna shred this thing?? I am really pretty easy on the boat. All lake time, no wave jumping, and no idle to WOT instantly..... But, the initial cost offsets a few broken XR's ... I do know where a New Teague platinum shaft XR is at for way cheap, but what's the diff??

Derek
Old 05-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the Merc Lab Bravo props...they are easy on the drive slip-wise...and they allow the rear of the boat to settle in nicely and handle well.

Don't be as concerned about slip...as you are about speed and boat handeling...and you will be on the right track.

I have done 104 with both 18 % slip with a Merc Lab Bravo...and 104 with about 10 % with a Hering six blade.

The Bravo handled better on the top end...the Hering felt unstable as it tried to pick up the rear of the boat...more blades equals more stern lift.

Both props (Hering 26 - six blade) and (Merc Lab Bravo 30) went 42 mph at 3000 rpm, and 63 mph at 4000 rpm (1.346 gears)

The only place the six blade did better than the bravo was coming on plane.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 05-02-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bullittcustoms
Anyone have any thoughts on the XR Drive? Am I gonna shred this thing?? I am really pretty easy on the boat. All lake time, no wave jumping, and no idle to WOT instantly..... But, the initial cost offsets a few broken XR's ... I do know where a New Teague platinum shaft XR is at for way cheap, but what's the diff??

Derek
If indeed you're are at the 800hp mark, it's not going to live all that long if you enjoy the power. The upper gear will likely be what fails. I'd be looking at upgrading to the Imco SCX (they have an updated model coming out too), B-Max, or doing the Arneson conversion before you trash your XR... at least this way you can sell the XR to offset some of the upgrade cost while the XR is still good and has some value.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Registered

Hi Derek,
Nice looking installation. I would grab the 29"P5-X 05R1 had, if he still has it. That's my daily driver with approximately the same horsepower and gear ratio (1.5) you are running. It works well across the board, and is an easy 90+ even with a load in summer heat.
Eric Betty @ EBM just did a similar installation (525 + Whipple Stage 2) for a friend with a 29' Fountain. We tested a bunch of props and had the best results with my 30" P5-X, so we sourced another one for him through Chris.
Regarding drives, if you change the drive oil regularly (I change all my fluids @ 25hrs. or after a poker run), and keep a close eye on your magnets and oil (for shavings or worse chunks), I think you'll be OK with the XR.
No doubt the SCX is a beefier, better piece if you have an extra 10K laying around...........
Good luck with your testing and keep us posted .....
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 05-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Chris
Gold Member

I agree with Steve...

I would contact Ned (05R1) about getting his 29P5x as an all around good prop.

Great looking motor install and setup!...you are going to love the horsepower.

Chris
Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Hi Derek,
Nice looking installation. I would grab the 29"P5-X 05R1 had, if he still has it.
Originally Posted by CB-BLR
I agree with Steve...

I would contact Ned (05R1) about getting his 29P5x as an all around good prop.

Great looking motor install and setup!...you are going to love the horsepower.

Chris
i still have it and fully agree

-Ned

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.