28 heat prop issues >

28 heat prop issues

Notices

28 heat prop issues

Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by villain slv
I went out and bought a merc sportmaster shorty lower this weekend.
I had water pressure issues before with the standard xr I plugged off the nose pickups and my pressure went down to normal.I have a few options to try I dont want to get as high as 30 so I might drill the thermostat out, or i have water flow restrictors as well and plug the bypass hose off.I will test this week and let you know thanks again.
A couple of thoughts:
The Merc shorty Sportmaster is (I think, I've never heard of a Merc -2") a -1". That will help some, but with the very deep XD on your boat it probably could use a -2" or -3". Several of our friends here haven't had much success with the Merc Sportmaster, but it's worth a try.
The hydrodynamic shape of the IMCO lower (regardless of depth, stock to -3") seems to be superior to the Sportmaster in our testing.
Regarding water pressure, restriction is one way to lower it but you can run into issues there, like steam pockets and lower oil and fuel cooler efficiency. We generally like to run plenty of flow into the motor and coolers, and dump the excess over 30 PSI. Of course our water temps are a lot warmer than yours!
Keep us posted on your progress.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 06-13-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a 2" shorty I know the sportmaster is not as fast I got a good deal on it and he took my standard xr on trade.
I went out the other night and tried it,I am now over revving.
26 bravo 1 5650 72mph seems like it stays stuck to the water with the stock bravo on not much bow lift. I tried my buddies 26 lab bravo 1 with max cup and over revved it in less than 5 seconds with almost no trim works wicked for lifting the bow I shut it down at 5800 I will try out my 28 nxt week and let you know.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by villain slv
It is a 2" shorty I know the sportmaster is not as fast I got a good deal on it and he took my standard xr on trade.
I went out the other night and tried it,I am now over revving.
26 bravo 1 5650 72mph seems like it stays stuck to the water with the stock bravo on not much bow lift. I tried my buddies 26 lab bravo 1 with max cup and over revved it in less than 5 seconds with almost no trim works wicked for lifting the bow I shut it down at 5800 I will try out my 28 nxt week and let you know.
Sounds like you are making progress. Good luck and keep us posted.
Steve
Old 07-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Registered

Ttt