Stereo Bang for Buck

Notices

Stereo Bang for Buck

Old 06-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Bang for Buck

After 5 years of thinking about it, I finally managed to execute to the idea -- and now have respectable boat tunes aboard SS I2D.

Assembled from Craigslist over the past 6 months, I purchased a near-new amazing JVC car stereo head-unit, a 700W JL Audio 6 channel amp, a 250W JL Audio sub amp, and 2 JL Audo 8" subs.

From onlinecarstereo.com, I hit a clearance sale and picked up 6 new Pioneer 4-way 6.5" round speakers.

Had everything installed last weekend, on-site at my slip. Install looks real nice.

Total all-in cost equipment and install -- just under tad under $1K. This makes my cheapskate self very happy, and to my criteron -- the whole maneuver qualifies as a bona fide top-tier "big bang for buck" event.

Went for a float after work twice this week, and I have to say that having quality sounding tunes on the water juices the enjoyment factor big time. Not quite as much as a new Whipple would-- but hey, in it's own way it's a meaningful upgrade.

Best yet, Ms. I2D broke a great big grin when she heard her favorite boat tunes played through the system. Domestic bliss undeterred.

Just thought I'd share.

I2D
Old 07-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Registered

Awesome bang for the buck
Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a good deal...

Are the speakers and subs marine grade?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

Are the speakers and subs marine grade?
No they are not. I realize that for maximum lifespan and best chance for reliability they should be -- but I had great luck in the past with straight-up automotive stereo equipment in a previous boat...so taking my chances again.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

At the price you paid, you got a deal, so it's definitely worth the chance. Just was curious.