Congratulations Team Nordic >

Congratulations Team Nordic

Notices

Congratulations Team Nordic

Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Congratulations Team Nordic

Congratulations Team Nordic and Randy Davis for winning men's open class with Todd Haig, and women's open class with Erin Saunders, in the recent 63rd Catalina Ski Race.
You have to be in incredible shape to ski @ 100MPH+ in the open ocean for 60 miles.
I am not an expert on this sport, but I think Todd's time was a new record, and this is his 10th overall win. Only the famous speed skier Chuck Stearns has 1 more victory in this race. It looks like Todd is well on his way to tying that record next year.
Years ago (in the late '70s) my slalom skiing friends and I used to read about this race and ski racing in Powerboat and Hot Boat, and we decided we would give it a try ourselves. I volunteered to go 1st. I had a friend drive my 16' Allison with the then new 175HP Black Max, which was running an unbeliveable 85 (on the dreamometer) back then. I was using my regular Jobe slalom ski and my racing life jacket.
Everything was going OK up to about 60. Over 60, the ski was fishtailing all over the place. I looked down and there was only about a foot of ski in the water. We decided we didn't have the right equipment for this sport. The skis the racers use are like surfboards compared to our short narrow slalom skis.
'Cudos to to Todd, Erin and Randy !
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 08-02-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my September Performance Boats magazine in the mail. There is a great write up starting on page 40 on the 2011 Catalina Ski Race. As a former racer, it is fascinating to me to see all that goes into this race.
The preparation of the skier (Todd Haig), Randy, Steve, the Nordic crew on the 47' Cyclone, and the team work during the race is very impressive. Not to mention winning women's open (Erin Saunders) in the new 43' Cyclone, launched the day before the race.
I guess the best analogy would be to imagine towing a skier during a 52 mile, no stop, poker run in the open ocean. If he falls, you get outrun, break something, your toast.
Performance boats says this is the first time since 1999 that any manufacturer has swept men's and women's open.
BTW, the second place team (Mike Avila/Peter Proctor) is trading their Fountain in for a Nordic....
Regards,
Steve