Whipple on 28 Heat >

Whipple on 28 Heat

Notices

Whipple on 28 Heat

Old 05-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple on 28 Heat

I'm Installing A Whipple On My 496 HO and Need To Know If I Need To Go With Dual Ram Hydrolic Steering, Or Single , And Sites Any MOds Have To Be Made To Install The WHipple? Anyone With This Setup On A 28 Heat, How Fast Can I Expect To Be Running After ThIs upgrade?
Thanks!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default welcome aboard keouweeoutlaw

Your setup is a fairly common one. Your boat probably GPS's in the mid-sixties now. We have found that 500EFIs run in the low to mid 70's, 525EFIs run in the mid to high 70's, 575SCis and 600SCis run about 80mph.
So you can figure that you'll need approximatley an additional 100 HP to run in the mid 70s, and 175 HP to run 80.
I say approximately because the boats get used with varying loads, and varying weather and altitude. The boats themselves have variations like MCOB, closed bow, and X dimension.
Regarding the Whipple on your application, keep in mind your motor comes from the factory with a cast internal rotating assembly. If you plan to keep the current rotating assembly,
you don't need to put a lot of boost on it. To take advantage of the additional airflow into your motor, you'll need a set of performance headers or manifolds to get it out.
I would have a reliable marine engine performace shop install the Whipple kit for you. If you need a shop that does this on a regular basis, I recommend EB Marine here in Nashville. Eric has installed Whipples on 496s to 525s, and large custom engines over 1000HP. He can handle any rigging requirements you need too, like the steering upgrade.
These boats do handle well with additional speed and horsepower. Buy the best steering system you can. I recommend dual ram, full hydraulic to the helm.
You may want to consider selling your entire motor, because it is valuable, and buying a drop in "blue" (Merc HP), or aftermarket performance motor with forged internals. Eric is a good guy to ask. He can usually find or build whatever you want.
Eric's number is 615-712-7209. His website is www.ebmarine.net .
Good luck with your project and keep us posted on your results. You are going to love your Heat.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 05-05-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Registered

Thanks For The Quick Reply! I WasTold That The 496 HOcame With The Forged Internals,And That I Wouldn't Have To Worry About It, But Maybe I Was Told Wrong.....I Think I Will Go With Your Advice On The Dual Ram System, And Mine Is The Closed Bow Heat,Hoping To Hit 80 ATleast!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keoweeoutlaw
Thanks For The Quick Reply! I WasTold That The 496 HOcame With The Forged Internals,And That I Wouldn't Have To Worry About It, But Maybe I Was Told Wrong.....I Think I Will Go With Your Advice On The Dual Ram System, And Mine Is The Closed Bow Heat,Hoping To Hit 80 ATleast!
Raylar is the aftermarket high perf expert on the 496".
Here you go www.raylarengineering.com
Their comments on internals can be found under FAQs.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 05-05-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Registered

Talking Whipple on heat

Welcome aboard Keoweeoutlaw! The heat is an awesome boat. I have a 98 open bow that ive been restoring for the last 4 years. By your name, I'm guessing you live on Lake Keowee in south Carolina???? I have a home on lake Hartwell. Anyway we currently live in central Ca. And do our boating there.if you were anywhere near southern ca. I would recommend GT Marine. He built me my 509 with a 3.3 Whipple. I run with a 30" bravo and run in the low 80's. I hope to post some pic's soon.

I will also be at the Big Cat Poker Run in August, and hope to see many Nordics!
Old 05-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Registered

Thanks4Czn! Yes I Live On Lake Keowee,Sc. Maybe Ill SeeYa On The HartwelL Poker RuN! I Do Love The Nordic! Very Coo Boat!