Notices

Time to replace my depth sounder

Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to replace my depth sounder

My standard issue Humminbird is toast.
Since I've been doing quite a bit of fishing using Humminbird graphs, I'm think would be helpful to have an actual view of the bottom along with depth, etc on the Heat.
I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their small depth sounder with a smaller "fish finder"?
How'd that go? How did you route the transducer?
Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a garmin 431 with an airmar transducer, works great. Removing the side panel to run the transducer line can be a chore, plan B would be to fish it down the side with creativity and possibly another person. I installed the transducer about 1' forward of the drain plug and it works great.

There is some talk about the tranducer being behind the step not being accurate because the step creates dirty water for it. I haven't run into that, works fine at moderate speeds, less than 40-50. Not sure why you need depth going that fast anyway?

Good luck