28 Heat questions.. >

28 Heat questions..

Notices

28 Heat questions..

Old 03-25-2014, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 28 Heat questions..

I'm pretty interested in upgrading to a Heat this season and I have a few questions..

First, I'm currently in a Yukon Denali with autoride. Max towing is 8400lbs. Do you think I'll need a heavier duty truck to tow this boat around? I have a 10mi ride thru city streets to my local ramps, but I'm interested in doing a LOTO trip in the near future. (8hrs)

I'll be primarily using the boat on Lake Michigan, and I'm just kind of wondering how solid of a boat these are. Is rough water, no problem?

Is A/C in the cabin possible upgrade? I guess its not a necessity this or next season, but eventually maybe..
Old 03-26-2014, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a Duramax to tow mine, then sold/downgraded to an older escalade with 6.0. I had the same concerns but it tows it great, I wish it had bigger brakes but I wish everything had bigger brakes. I had the ECU adjusted for more fan control and different shifting, and added a trans cooler. I tow over the mountains couple times per year, no problems.

Not sure what you mean by big waves, but the Nordic has a windshield, a plastic one at that. It can handle decent water, but you rarely see offshore boats with plastic windshields so I'm not sure how much pounding they can take.

Good luck
Old 03-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have towed mine with a Tahoe 5.3 Z71 with tow package, and now a Suburban 5.3 Z71 with tow package. The longer wheelbase does help.
You should be fine with the Denali, if it has the tow package, and it associated upgrades and real axle (usually 3.73) ratio, for local towing.
Mine does work hard in steep terrain and ramps, but in worst case I can us 4 LO. I think your truck has full time 4WD/AWD, so you may not have this option?
As far as rough water goes, we have some big lakes here and they do get rough by our standards. The Great Lakes are another matter. I think the Heat does as well or better than most boats in it's size range. I would ask some area boaters what works best and see what they say.
Regards,
Steve
Old 03-30-2014, 04:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have the 6.2L with 6 speed trans and AWD. not sure of the axle ratio. I am considering a 2500HD

i dont plan on going out lookin like the gorton's fisherman, but occasionally the wind shifts and we end up in 1-2 or occasionally 2-3ft waves. just wondering about the overall construction.. common places to see stress cracks or anything like that?
Old 03-30-2014, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by downforce137
i dont plan on going out lookin like the gorton's fisherman, but ?

Best thing I have heard on OSO in a long time!!!!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

you will have no problem with the 6.2 6 speed.