Notices

Rage ?

Old 06-18-2014, 02:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgie
IMO silent choice is about the worst thing you can put in a Performace boat. You've probably never seen one in a rage for several reasons, one big one being that was mentioned prior, the exhaust is under water at idle.

I don't have tons of time on my new to me Rage, however the time I spent up in Havasu idling through the channel with stainless marine manifolds on the 502 that I just removed, it was as quiet as could be until on plane. Installing a 650 hp 496 stroker with eickert headers and honestly doubt there will be much added noise as it exits under water. Actually very smart of nordic to design the rage and heat this way IMO.

Also keep in mind the Rage is faster than the larger Heat. It sounds like handling is paramount for you, and I understand that having a family myself. Would be great if that guy with the Rage could give you a ride. IMO what you are describing isn't truly too rough for a Rage, however the Rage and the Heat aren't big water boats like a true offshore 24 degree hull, ie fountain, Cig..... They are river/mid sized inland lake boats. Opinions are all over the place on this topic,so my advice is try both if possible. Good luck!
I must say I do not understand your post. "Silent choice is the worst thing you can put in" ????? My Rage has silent choice and I think it is the single BEST thing I have put on my boat and I have lots of options on my Rage-Whipple, tabs, hydraulic steering, CMI headers etc. I run mine closed all the time except when I am going really fast.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:23 AM
Registered

What's so hard to understand? Silent choice exhaust isn't designed for performance boats as it increases the chance of reversion 10 fold. You must own a rage that exits the exhaust out the corners above the water line. Sure, silent choice is nice for canceling noise (if your exhaust is above the water line and you don't have an aggressive camshaft). If it's the under water exit, there is no reason to run silent choice as the water muffles things at idle. And under way/WOT we all know how awesome silent choice is....
I was trying to be polite, but from your reply I can see that is not in your nature.

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then defeat you with experience.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Registered

Oh Jesus..... You need to relax and take a midol. If you were offended that's your issue, not mine, as that wasn't my intent. Silent choice is the number one cause of reversion. It's been proven over and over by people with years of marine Performace experience. Do you realize many here don't even know they have reversion, as they have been lucky, and also never taken the time to confirm, ie remove a manifold!?

I'm an idiot, and you sir are a prick. Superb example of an Arizona education.....

Switchable exhaust systems other than silent choice/mufflers might be many times more expensive, but are a much better option that a true silent choice which utilizes a y pipe and can increase the potential to revert at idle with a camshaft with too much overlap. You won't find any Performace camshaft company who endorses the use of "silent choice". Other switchable systems/mufflers, sometimes, yes, but there are many factors that contribute to reversion.
Calm down you two... take it to PM if you want to throw insults back and forth.

I honestly prefer a loud boat, but that is just me. A lot of lakes in Texas are adopting the 92 decibel limit, which is ghey, but the lakes I frequent have not started yet so I am good.

OP, glad you got to take a Rage run. Offer still stands for a Heat run if you want.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, there really shuldn't be a controversy here.......
I've run Teague ST450s on my heavily modified "575" for years.
I've never had any isues with them at all. Like most performance boaters, I love the sound of big horsepower
engines at any speed, idle, midrange, WOT. My cam isn't exactly stock either........ I don't use them much, but I do consider my fellow
boaters and marina slip boat owners/operators. I don't want to come off as "that ******* with the load boat". We have one lake here
(Center Hill) where fun police are trying a noise crackdown. I just flip them on when they are around and they never say anything.
Even I get tired of the racket sometimes after a long day on the water. It's a nice option to have.
Peace out,
Steve
Old 06-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Borgie,
When people say silent choice, they may (?) actually be referring to that particular muffling system.
However, they may be referring to any switchable system as well. People have referred to my setup
as silent choice. It's like Kleenex or Aspirin..it's become a generic term.
BTW, a good friend of mine with a 29' Fountain and factory installed 575 with Merc/CMIs actually has
Merc silent choice. If it's ever had reversion issues, we've never noticed it, and I doubt Fountain and
Mercury would do it because of warranty headaches. Another friend has the same boat with a 525 and
Merc/CMI "sweeper" headers and Merc silent choice. Again no issues that we have detected.
There are multiple causes of reversion, usually an agressive cam profile with a lot duration and/or overlap,
combined with an exhaust system that is not designed for that cam profile. I would agree with you that
a custom engine that is on the bubble already with a certain cam/exhaust system could have reversion exaggerated
with the introduction of a restriction in the exhaust system, of any type. Of course then, which came first, the chicken or
the egg..........a motor/cam/exhaust combination prone to reversion, or an exhaust muffling system?
Regarding exhaust noise in general, whether we like it or not, and I think most of us do, if we don't police ourselves,
eventually the real police probably will.
Steve
Old 06-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered

So back to the Rage....

Dlank was nice enough to stop by and take me for a spin this past weekend. I definitely enjoyed the boat. I wouldn't say its vastly better than my Crownline in terms of softening the chop. The lack of a walk thru windshield and lack of the "jewelry" the crownline has definitely leaves the Rage feeling much more solid over the chop
Old 06-25-2014, 02:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by xcpilot
I must say I do not understand your post. . I run mine closed all the time except when I am going really fast.
Borgie you really need to read posts before going off. I have Corsa's like Greatguy66. Read: I run mine CLOSED!

Last edited by xcpilot; 06-25-2014 at 03:07 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.