Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
Water in a the bilge on a 2006 rage???? >

Water in a the bilge on a 2006 rage????

Notices

Water in a the bilge on a 2006 rage????

Old 07-14-2015, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just thinking about the flappers and if they are really needed on the Rage. With the exhaust so low on the water that the water needs to travel a long ways and all up hill. Add to the fact the the exhaust pipe is pressured as the water goes up hill and can't free flow like a lot of open to the back and out of the water straight pipes that would allow water to splash at a slight angle with out the sealed pressure like the Rage has? Just like putting a cup upside down in water, the water can't get in due to the air pressure, but if you tilt the cup the bubble is lost and water will flow in? Just thinking???
Old 07-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by zgoo
I was just thinking about the flappers and if they are really needed on the Rage. With the exhaust so low on the water that the water needs to travel a long ways and all up hill. Add to the fact the the exhaust pipe is pressured as the water goes up hill and can't free flow like a lot of open to the back and out of the water straight pipes that would allow water to splash at a slight angle with out the sealed pressure like the Rage has? Just like putting a cup upside down in water, the water can't get in due to the air pressure, but if you tilt the cup the bubble is lost and water will flow in? Just thinking???
One way to look at it is if they weren't needed Nordic wouldn't have put them in there in the first place. Maybe extra insurance to cover their rears possibly? Better safe than sorry in my book. I totally see what you are saying, they do have an uphill battle to deal with so to speak with the distance and angles involved in your particular system. Who knows how long yours have been burned out and maybe the boat just hasn't run into that "one" particular wave or scenario that would cause water to travel into the motor.

Is $25 and a few hours at most worth it to find out? Lol
Old 07-14-2015, 09:05 PM
Registered

Hi Dave,

I agree, I was just thinking out loud. But I bet there is a lot that are burned out on these boats? Where did you find them for $25 and what brand?
Old 07-15-2015, 07:06 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

Also check the small tube/hose for the speedometer. If you have a 496, it should run along the right side of the motor, halfway down, and loomed with a hose bracket holding one or two other small tubes. Mine somehow disconnected a few seasons ago, and man that baby streams water at a remarkable rate when underway. I found this by cracking the engine hatch just enough to peer inside while moving (my co-captain as eyes while I piloted).
Old 07-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Registered

LOL yes the same with my co-captain only with mine I have to yell FASTER FASTER!!!

Last edited by zgoo; 07-15-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:52 AM
Registered

Hi Dave,

I agree, I was just thinking out loud. But I bet there is a lot that are burned out on these boats? Where did you find them for $25 and what brand?
http://teaguecustommarine.com/em0011...pper-assy.html Eric is who I deal with he's a nice guy.

Yes I agree my buddies are wasted too and his has very few hours on his.... Make sure you put them in the proper way I had mine in backwards since I had nothing to compare it to. Eric told me the "Teague" emblems face forward. Lol

LOL yes the same with my co-captain only with mine I have to yell FASTER FASTER!!!
LOL! I have that same problem my wife is always telling me to slow down and the kids yell faster, faster! She thinks my 5 year old is going to get sucked out by the wind and fly out lol. If you need someone to drive fast for testing with you I'm having withdrawals over here lol!
Old 07-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Registered

zgoo:

Last night we replaced the flappers on my buddies Rage and they are not able to be accessed from the inside. We took the tips off which was actually pretty easy. Nordic used regular clear silicone on his and I just took out the screws and used a five way multi tool to gently pry the tip off the hull then loosened the clamp from the inside and twisted the tip out. It has a weird angle welded in it so twisting it helped break it loose from the hose. We will see how long this set off flappers lasts lol.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:04 AM
Registered

Thanks Dave,

I have 1/2 of on on the port side and a full one on the left, guess which side is leaking?? LOL That's about what I thought it would take to do it. I'm just got done replacing the fuel filters and adding another fuel filter setup. Going out Sat for the 95 weather!!! Oh, Darren just bought a awesome newer Eliminator, super nice and he will have it in about a week? Hope to see you out there if you can make it. Dan
Old 07-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Registered

Thanks Dave,

I have 1/2 of on on the port side and a full one on the left, guess which side is leaking?? LOL That's about what I thought it would take to do it. I'm just got done replacing the fuel filters and adding another fuel filter setup. Going out Sat for the 95 weather!!! Oh, Darren just bought a awesome newer Eliminator, super nice and he will have it in about a week? Hope to see you out there if you can make it. Dan
What did you add the extra filter for I'm curious if it's something I should have my buddy look into as well? I'm stuck at work Sat (today) looks like we will be going out Monday though on his boat with him. Did Darren get something bigger?! Can't wait to see it!
Old 08-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Registered

Found the leak, one of the screws had a small leak and fixed it. Thanks for all the help!! I also did the stainless steel Hardin Sea Pump install, what the f##K, that is a ***** to do, but the engine looks to run about 5 degrees cooler so it's all good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.