Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
Possible New Nordic Owner--Please Help! >

Possible New Nordic Owner--Please Help!

Notices

Possible New Nordic Owner--Please Help!

Old 10-31-2016, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible New Nordic Owner--Please Help!

Hey guys, I've been eyeing the 25-28FT Nordics for several years now and it's finally coming time to pull the trigger. Can you guys give me a quick "run down" on these Rage and Heat boats? What should a novice buyer like me be looking for? I've seen some things about the 99-2005 Nordics being inferior wood construction. Trouble is, I don't think my budget will get me a 2006+ right now. Also, what engines did Nordic offer in these boats? I see 90% of them with a 496 H/O but have also seen a 502 MPI. Is one better than the other? What about closed/fresh water cooling, what years was it offered on? Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated, I must say I'm a little overwhelmed trying to learn these boats!
Old 11-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like all boats out there with wood construction, check all the normal places for rot. Transom, stringers, floors etc. I had a 2000 MY Heat and was solid as a rock, even after it was left outside uncovered as a repo for a while. Yes, the wood free construction is nice and will probably last for many many years, but with proper storage and such on a wood boat, I am sure you would get plenty of enjoyment out of it. These are not a cheap construction boat. They are very well appointed and very well constructed.

Yes, most of the boats out there now a days are equipped with the 496HOs, at least the ones for sale. Depending on what you are wanting to do with the boat, the 496HO package is a reliable package without the need for cracking the heads every 300 hours. They are also closed cooling system boats. Most people say upper 60s for the MPH with that setup. There are the little mods out there to make the 496 a little faster, but most seem to accept the setup as is. I personally had a 500EFI in my boat, best speed of 73mph on GPS with a light load, but pretty consistent at right around 71mph. This was not a closed cooling system found on the 496HO and 525s, but I had no issue with it. The temperature never spiked even when the water was hot and the ambient temps hotter (Texas sun, gotta love it).

So it really all depends on your goals. Top speed, reliable family boat with years of trouble free fun, or an all around fun boat. The third is a given, the other two may be a separate package.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1997 Heat is built very well, but has a fair amount of wood. I have yet to come across any rot. Wood get's a very bad rap. The major problem with wood transoms, stringers and bulkheads is that way too many builders failed to properly seal holes and cutouts. Once the end grain starts wicking water, the fungus sets in like termites in a stick frame home. I've come across things I believe Nordic could have done better, but overall they did a pretty good job. Great gelcoat and pretty good mold maintenance (important!).

In regards to power, either the 502 or the 496 will get the job done. The plus with the 496HO is the drive, which in most cases is a Bravo 1X. The downside with the 496 is the aftermarket, but fortunately, Raylar is out there supporting it very well. I have a 496 in my 2500HD Silverado and it is still going strong at 160K.

The pleasant surprise I came across is Nordic's product support. My boat is almost 20 years old and the factory acts as if I bought it from them yesterday. Always helpful when I have questions or require parts.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree there, Nordic has an amazing customer support team. I would not hesitate to get into a Nordic again when the time comes.