Saltwater question for The Nordic Navy

Notices

Saltwater question for The Nordic Navy

Old 09-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saltwater question for The Nordic Navy

Ms. In2Deep approached me today with an idea she has percolating for the upcoming xmas holiday.
Pull the boat to Florida (Gulf side), stay for a week at a resort she found that has a marina, and keep the boat in a slip in the water (salt) and bounce around the islands and bars/restaurants on that side of the area.

I've dunked the Heat twice in salt when in SoCal -- but both times were simple day excursions; launch the boat, run around, then back on the trailer followed by 2 hours of flushing and washing everything to the extreme. Naturally, there wasn't an issue (no repercussions). That said, I've never considered keeping the boat in salt for any extended period of time. And "yes", I have closed cooling.

So what say you Nordic brothers? Workable idea...or a non-starter? Opinions and insights appreciated.
Sounds like a great time...but I'm hesitant only due to the boat logistics.

I2D
Old 09-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Registered

It's not a deal breaker, but it will be a back breaker afterwards... prolonged salt has a way of bringing about the problems, kind of like reverting from synthetic to dino oils and watch all the leaks. Pick up some saltaway and other preventative products and you should be fine. Just clean clean clean afterwards.

off topic, Greg and I will be up in Loto the weekend of the harbor hop with Deja Blue. You still gonna be up there in mid October?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:57 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

It's salt water not sulfuric acid, enjoy your time in the Gulf and don't worry about it. Do you have Zincs or Magnesiums? Mags are for fresh water, zincs for salt. I'd switch over if you have mags. I had my Nordic in salt water for 3 years, boat was spotless when I sold it. Do your due diligence cleaning it and you'll be fine.

The one caveat is the Nordic trailer. I went into my purchase from Nordic green about the trailer, it was the worst decision I've ever made. What a hunk of junk, fine for fresh but sh!t for salt, stupid thing rusted out on me in no time. If you can get a lift off the trailer I'd consider it because there's no way to clean inside the box beams, unless you rig some sort of snake to run through them. The boat will be fine, I'm not sure I'd dunk the trailer.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:27 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

Thanks Indy. Well, the plan changed anyway -- we're off to the East side of FL. Staying in Daytona, so more a beach vacation than boating per se. I will keep in mind the saltwater advice, since I'm going to guess this topic will come up again. Jay, my current plan is "yes" I'll be there at the same time you'll be there. We should try to hook up. How long are you staying?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:41 AM
Registered

We will be there Friday to Monday. Greg rented a condo with slip. We are gonna boat the weekend and then drop her off at waves and wheels on Monday for some work.