Notices

NJ Area Lakes

Old 04-26-2008, 07:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NJ Area Lakes

Considering a move to Florham Park, NJ. Wondering if there are any lakes in the area that are "offshore friendly," preferably with a nice marina. Have a 38' Fountain.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope. Lake hopatcong is the largest, and our old 27 foot baja was too big for it. Its 12 miles tip to tip.

However, the Barnaget Bay is exactly what your looking for, along with the Atlantic ocean. I think that would count as offshore. Its about a 2 hour drive towing a trailer from florham park. You also have the hudson river,which would be a bit closer.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Registered

yes most northern jersey lakes are small for anything over a 24 footer like hopatcong or my lake greenwood lake but in a hour or so ride either south on 287 to the jersey shore area around keyport or matawan you could splash it or if you headed north about an hour on 287 you could be in the haverstraw stony point section of the hudson you could always tow an hour east on rt 78 and be at the marina by liberty state park and be on the hudson right off of the city
Old 04-27-2008, 08:10 AM
ENABLER
Platinum Member

Default Hudson

Haverstraw marina in NY about a 1hr drive from U!
Very nice secure marina---Give a shout to (ReggieRaft) here on the board---I think he has a slip w/lift for sale. U can go north-very scenic w/dining---or go south to the city, Jersey coast or ocean running!
See you on the hudson!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like I'll need to get a tow rig or a slip at a minimum. Hate to admit it, but have never taken the Fountain offshore, so that idea will take some getting used to. How's the Hudson? Being a "lake" guy to date when I hear river (and when I've been at the Hudson) I"m afraid of debris, water depth, etc.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:00 AM
Registered

Default Hudson River

Originally Posted by 1stfntn
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like I'll need to get a tow rig or a slip at a minimum. Hate to admit it, but have never taken the Fountain offshore, so that idea will take some getting used to. How's the Hudson? Being a "lake" guy to date when I hear river (and when I've been at the Hudson) I"m afraid of debris, water depth, etc.
The Hudson, find a slip or rack storage on the hudson, water is deep, you wont run aground, your Fountain is a good size. If you have not grown up boating around Barnagate you will get to know all of the sand bars very well, you need a season with a exp. Barnagate boater to not run aground.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: HILLSBOROUGH, NJ OCEAN BEACH, NJ & LIDO KEY FLORIDA
Default Greenwood Lake Issue

Mattyboy,
Is Their Any Issues At Greenwood Lake With The Fish Dying, I Heard Over The Weekend Major Problem??
Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUGSY
Mattyboy,
Is Their Any Issues At Greenwood Lake With The Fish Dying, I Heard Over The Weekend Major Problem??

i haven't heard anything alot of bass guys out there, a buddy of mine is a big local fish guy I 'll ask him and let you know
Old 04-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went out on the lake yesterday and there were a ton of dead fish. 17 at the launch ramp alone????????Make me wonder how the summer will pan out.

Nordic95
Old 04-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered

Anthony,
i sold the boat so I have not been out on the lake yet
what kind of fish?? sunnies or the bigger fish
I have seen that late in the season when it is dry and hot out but never this early

Quick Reply: NJ Area Lakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.