L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question??? >

L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question???

Notices

L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question???

Old 05-31-2008, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by live wire
Water is definatley still to cold. I'm heading out early Sunday from Peekskill to make a test run down to Sandy hook then I was going to head over to Jones Beach inlet to see how long of a ride it was before I drag the kids along. So I was thinking since I was down that way I would head home via the East river and maybe see how long of a ride back it was from the "sandhole " or somewhere else in the Sound where I could beach up the boat and take the kids for the day.
If you get over to Jones Inlet take a look at Short Beach..... It is on the eastern side of the inlet just behind the Coast Guard station....... I am there most weekends..... They have bathroom facilities, barbecues, a beach to beach your boat and plenty of slips.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

port jeff is about 45 miles or so from the east river.im about 5 miles west of pj in smithtown bay and i drove into nyc thru hellgate down east river around nyc, up to the gw bridge then down the harlem river and back and it was about 120 miles,give or take a few.WATER LAST WEEKEND WAS 65 DEG

Last edited by SLOWOUTBOARD; 05-31-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther

If you ever bring the family to Sandy Hook there are a bunch of places you can go to including Party Island, Airforce Cove and a bunch of restaurants that dock/dine.

If you ever need anything just let me know!

Frank
The last time I was at Sandy hook was in my dads boat when I was a kid so I'm looking foward to seeing it again. Can you give me a better idea where Party Island and Air force cove is ,I'll head there tommorrow to check it out.

Thanks Kevin
Old 05-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
If you get over to Jones Inlet take a look at Short Beach..... It is on the eastern side of the inlet just behind the Coast Guard station....... I am there most weekends..... They have bathroom facilities, barbecues, a beach to beach your boat and plenty of slips.
Thats were I was headed tommorow ( short beach) after Sandy hook. I was stationed at the Jones Beach Coast guard station about 20 years ago and remember Short beach being a great hang out back then .I Know its since been redone and wanted to check it out.

Cant wait to leave tommorrow.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Stop at west marine and get some charts.What you want to do in one day sounds a bit much. Also do you have a gps on board? Its a good thing to have running the outside of south LI. Check wind speed and direction before heading south of NYC harbor. And I would cruise out to the sound for a day trip with you . Maybe get some Hudson guys together and go as a group.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The official "sand hole" is west of Port Jeff. Once in Port Jeff, on the left side there is another sand hole with dunes for the kids to play on. I just didn't want you to think that the official sand hole is in Port Jeff...it's actually closer to you.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ReggieRaft
Stop at west marine and get some charts.What you want to do in one day sounds a bit much. Also do you have a gps on board? Its a good thing to have running the outside of south LI. Check wind speed and direction before heading south of NYC harbor. And I would cruise out to the sound for a day trip with you . Maybe get some Hudson guys together and go as a group.
I have lotsa charts of the area , I also have a Garmin Chart plotter GPS. I familiar with the locations I'm heading to and have been there before .I'm just not sure of the exact locations of various spots to bring the kids .

As for a bit much , I'll make the Sandy hook & Jones beach run since they are fairly close together and then I'll decide at Hells gate if I have time to make the 2 hour round trip out to the Sandhole.

I would definatley like to hook up sometime and make the run as a group. Kevin
Old 05-31-2008, 05:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
The official "sand hole" is west of Port Jeff. Once in Port Jeff, on the left side there is another sand hole with dunes for the kids to play on. I just didn't want you to think that the official sand hole is in Port Jeff...it's actually closer to you.
I just tried to call you but I must have the wrong # . If you can call me tonight .
Old 05-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by live wire
The last time I was at Sandy hook was in my dads boat when I was a kid so I'm looking foward to seeing it again. Can you give me a better idea where Party Island and Air force cove is ,I'll head there tommorrow to check it out.

Thanks Kevin
Sure! When you go under the Verrazanno Bridge you'll see a large building south of you on top of a large hill. Head straight for the building and it will bring you just west of Sandy Hook, then head for the building and it will bring you right into the channel. Party Island will be named "Spermacetti Cove" on a chart. Picture 1 and 2 are pictures of the area. You enter the cover via. the false channel which is NOT marked but has deep water, just follow someone in... I'll be in Olrando tomorrow so I can't help.

Airforce Cove is a little further up. You go past the Atlantic Highlands bridge and after the bridge you stay to your right and enter the Navesink River. Be sure to follow all the markers and don't go out of the channel. You'll see a bunch of boats anchored on the right hand side, DON'T turn right YET. Proceed past the small island and go about 1000 ft and hang a right to get into the cove.

If you have a GPS with the local chips you can see the false channel by Sandy Hook and you can also see the false channel that gets you into Airforce Cove. If you want to get some lunch, check out Windansea dock and dine. http://www.windanseanj.com/

Great places to hang out!! If you just want to anchor, hit Airforce Cove. If you want to get off the boat and hang out on the beach, head to Party Island. At Party Island you can easily beach the boat on the east side of the sand finger. Here's a link to the party that's held at Party Island every year! http://www.lucidideefastboats.com/2007islandbash.html

Frank
Attached Thumbnails L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question???-sandy-hook1.jpg   L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question???-sandy-hook2.jpg   L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question???-af-cove.jpg  

Last edited by Panther; 05-31-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:35 PM
Registered

Thanks panther, I couldnt ask for more. Thanks Kevin

Quick Reply: L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.