Captains License >

Captains License

Notices

Captains License

Old 03-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Captains License

Due to low enrollment the course I was scheduled to start taking today has been delayed 1 month in hopes to to get more attendance. The class will be held in Peekskill NY in early April.Here is a link to the school http://www.nauticalschool.com/ Hopefully they get enough people to take the class so it doesnt get postponed again. If anyone is interested let me know or contact the school
Old 03-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

why do you want a capt. license Have you already taken a power squadron course? They offer a advanced plotting course.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ReggieRaft
why do you want a capt. license Have you already taken a power squadron course? They offer a advanced plotting course.
It's just something I've always wanted to have since my Coast Guard days . And yes I have taken the the power squadron course which just about the equivilent of a defensive drivers course for boaters , just the basic's so you dont kill anyone.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Registered

whats the benfit to having it?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen
whats the benfit to having it?
I've grown up around boats & ran S&R boats for the USCG. For me it's really just something I've always wanted to do. Sort of the icying on the cake type of thing, I guess ??? My father has his Captain License and I've always admired and respected his seamanship knowlege and skills . There really is no finacial benifit unless you want to run a charter or transfer boats. There is alot more to know about boating then" red right return" which is about the extent of most peoples boating knowlege especially with the ego's in the performance boat community. I'm also scheduled to take Tres's class in May.

And it helps when you get pulled over & boarded
Old 03-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Registered

So there are some benefits. whats the cost for the classes?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen
So there are some benefits. whats the cost for the classes?
There are a bunch of all inclusive coures out there. They run Between 600 - 700 . They are usually a intense 2-3 week test prep course with nights and weekends.below is the USCG Requirements

To obtain an OUPV license, you need to show 360 days’ experience on Inland or Near Coastal waters – this experience can be on your own boat or someone else’s. Of the 360 total days:
90 days must be within the last 3 years
90 days must be on Great Lakes only if you want to obtain a Great Lakes Routing on your license
90 days must be on Near Coastal waters to obtain a Near Coastal Routing

The following is a checklist of everything you need to apply for your OUPV License.

Coast Guard Application Form (CG-719B)
Sea Service Form (CG-719S)
Physical Examination Report (CG-719K)
Drug Test Report (5 Substance SAMSHA – CG-719-P)
Three Character References
Social Security Card
Proof of Citizenship
First Aid/CPR Certification
User Fees
Training Certificate
Old 03-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that the same thing as what's called a " six pack" ? I too wanted to do this 2 years ago, Then there was a explaination about how there are legal ramifications if God forbid something happened out there how Captains are held to a higher standard and there is a whole new set of rules legally,With that and the fact that I probably could not prove the seat time required I forgot about it. Sounds like it's something you want to do so Good luck.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zzzzzz
Is that the same thing as what's called a " six pack" ? Then there was a explaination about how there are legal ramifications if God forbid something happened out there how Captains are held to a higher standard and there is a whole new set of rules legally
Yes , the basic / lowest Capt license is refered as the " 6 pack " which means you can run boats for hire under 100 ton with no more than 6 passengers.

As for as the legal ramifcations being stricter , this only applys if you are running a boat for hire. As it should be.

My interest for taking the course is only for my own personal knowledge and self gratification and it cant hurt. I really have no plans as of yet to use it commercially . I do know from my days in the CG that a professional courtesy is common when boarding a boat of a Captain license holder . Is this a big deal ...No , but sometimes every little bit helps.

As far as Tres Martin's class in Long Island NY on May 23-24... I believe there is still room if anyone is interested.

Kevin
Old 09-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Registered

Default Captains License - Peekskill NY?

Hello LiveWire ... I am interested in finding a course in (OUPV/Captains) Peekskill NY ...any help ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.