CT. River Run 2010

Notices

CT. River Run 2010

Old 09-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by moses0324
i am with jeff (30ctsutphen) here...

we walked by an older cig in the sound 2 weeks ago...the people in the cig looked shocked. like jeff said from 1970's to 1990's, 65-70 mph is about tops unless they have been re-powered.
I believe those 292 Formulas to out at 70 MPH too !!! And thats with a stepped hull! If you went by an older Cig, it wasnt in anything bigger than a 2 ft chop.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

I believe those 292 Formulas to out at 70 MPH too !!! And thats with a stepped hull! If you went by an older Cig, it wasnt in anything bigger than a 2 ft chop.
yea it was roughly 2 ft chop...

im not bashing cig's, i love them..i am just agreeing on the speed aspect. if i could afford to buy a cig i would. well maybe outerlimits first but cig is up there.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4195
Okay I have been pretty tolerant of all the Cig bashing from you but no more. First I am happy with my boat, very happy but it is time to go to the next project. Just like if I owned your boat I would remove that fugly Mr. Magoo windshield scrap that those little salad mixers then sell the rest for scrap and save my money then buy a Cigarette. All this talk from you and i have never seen your boat in the ocean. Bring that trailer queen out anytime you want and we let all the bull**** talk stop. Don't get me wrong Sutphen makes a good boat but it is no Cigarette. If those boats where as good as you guys think then why so few??? I am sure you have an answer. And speaking of 65 mph who's boat are you talking about? Give an example.
I will put the constuction and fit and finish of any old sutphen up against any flat bottom cigarette. Have you owned and been on multiple boats of both kind?? The Sutphen is light weight because its built correctly and doesnt need all the crap Cig threw in the boat. I love Cigarette's but a Sutphen is much much faster boat, built and rigged better, and can hang with a Cigarette in the rough any day. There's plenty of Sutphens around. The owners just hang on to them forever because its such a good boat. Why dont you bring your boat on a poker run and well see where you end up!! A flat bottom Cigarette has never been ahead of me at any poker run!!
Old 09-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by moses0324
yea it was roughly 2 ft chop...

im not bashing cig's, i love them..i am just agreeing on the speed aspect. if i could afford to buy a cig i would. well maybe outerlimits first but cig is up there.
Good choice on the Outerlimits. The bottom designs and construction techniques make Cigarette (modern day 2010) look like they're still from the stone age. No offense cause they build and rig a great boat but they need to come to reality the technology has advanced quite a bit since 1980.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Registered

Here we go again III. ...Frank, Cigarette boats are the envy of every performance boater forever. There are always haters when there's something that really goes above and beyond the competition. Thats what Cigarette does. 30 Sutphen........Cigarettes are also hand built boats. Their quality is second to NONE.The reason there are more Cigarettes than Sutphens, is more people wanted them! Ive owned lots of boats, ALWAYS wanted a Cig, but could never afford one. Finally almost 40 yrs old and lots of hard work, I got one. Same with Frank, after years of hard work to get "the American Dream", he has one, and a nice one at that!!!! So when a #2 boat owner comes on here shootin down the #1 boat, Cig owners have to protect against haters like you. With that being said, I also think you should also take a sledge hammer to that Mr Magoo windshield !Then you will have youself a nice boat. I am not an outboard fan myself, I mean you could have 2 fire breatin Big Block Chevys!!!! Oh, I forgot, your anti Chevy too. I think you might be one of those odd-ball guys that always have to go against the grain. Dont be a hater, the #1 is there for a reason.....
Old 09-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
Good choice on the Outerlimits. The bottom designs and construction techniques make Cigarette (modern day 2010) look like they're still from the stone age. No offense cause they build and rig a great boat but they need to come to reality the technology has advanced quite a bit since 1980.
40icbm, Im no pro on construction technology, but newer TG's run 88 mph with 525's, even with all that crap that Cig puts in there! Not bad for a big tank. Old TG would run 75 with 525 HP, so they have made some improvements to the hull design. I believe youve been a Cig owner in the past, alittle suprised that you talk so much trash about them....
Old 09-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kreed
Here we go again III. ...Frank, Cigarette boats are the envy of every performance boater forever. There are always haters when there's something that really goes above and beyond the competition. Thats what Cigarette does. 30 Sutphen........Cigarettes are also hand built boats. Their quality is second to NONE.The reason there are more Cigarettes than Sutphens, is more people wanted them! Ive owned lots of boats, ALWAYS wanted a Cig, but could never afford one. Finally almost 40 yrs old and lots of hard work, I got one. Same with Frank, after years of hard work to get "the American Dream", he has one, and a nice one at that!!!! So when a #2 boat owner comes on here shootin down the #1 boat, Cig owners have to protect against haters like you. With that being said, I also think you should also take a sledge hammer to that Mr Magoo windshield !Then you will have youself a nice boat. I am not an outboard fan myself, I mean you could have 2 fire breatin Big Block Chevys!!!! Oh, I forgot, your anti Chevy too. I think you might be one of those odd-ball guys that always have to go against the grain. Dont be a hater, the #1 is there for a reason.....
Every Sutphen was hand built. There were more Sutphen's in the northeast than there were Cigarette's in the 80's. Sutphen actually has more racing world and national championships so why is Cigarette #1?? I like Cigs just as much as the next guy but they are not the best of the best. We have owned Cigarette's and our Gladiator was one of the best boats we owned. Cigarette doesnt go above and beyond the comp in really any way. They do everything really well but nothing alot better than the rest. They have you brain washed!!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kreed
40icbm, Im no pro on construction technology, but newer TG's run 88 mph with 525's, even with all that crap that Cig puts in there! Not bad for a big tank. Old TG would run 75 with 525 HP, so they have made some improvements to the hull design. I believe youve been a Cig owner in the past, alittle suprised that you talk so much trash about them....
The t/s guns with 525's run 84-85 every day, not 88. They hit 88 once in a while and that with no fuel and perfect conditions. Thats also with a cabin that has just flat cushions. I loved my Cigarette because it wasnt the normal Cigarette. No cabin, sit down, and no rub rail. The only thining was it didnt have the most efficient bottom on it being it ran 92 with 525's. With 525hp in a regular flat bottom gun ful cabin you'd be hard pressed to see 75. Im not really trash talking the brand its everyone that thinks Cigarette is the best boat in the world which I tend to disagree with. I have run in, step, non step, staggered, speedmater, bravo ect Cigarette's and they are a very very nice boat. Better than most in alot of areas but not all.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
I will put the constuction and fit and finish of any old sutphen up against any flat bottom cigarette. Have you owned and been on multiple boats of both kind?? The Sutphen is light weight because its built correctly and doesnt need all the crap Cig threw in the boat. I love Cigarette's but a Sutphen is much much faster boat, built and rigged better, and can hang with a Cigarette in the rough any day. There's plenty of Sutphens around. The owners just hang on to them forever because its such a good boat. Why dont you bring your boat on a poker run and well see where you end up!! A flat bottom Cigarette has never been ahead of me at any poker run!!
Dan let us know when you buy a boat then we will talk. You seem to be the most knowledgable person on this site so if you say it's true it must be.
Maybe we ask Chris at OP what he thinks is the better boat.

Last edited by 4195; 09-12-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4195
Dan let us know when you buy a boat then we will talk. You seem to be the most knowledgable person on this site so if you say it's true it must be.
Maybe we ask Chris at OP what he thinks is the better boat.
I am not the most knowledgable guy on this site but I have been doing this my whole life and have had the opportunity to run in/run a number of high performance boats from all different manufactures which most people dont. I have known Chris my whole life as well and is a great friend. Another good friend of mine raced Sutphen's, then a 42 Outerlimits, then raced Chris's old race boat the Hardway, and eventually went back to the Sutphen. He said the Cigarette was a great boat but no Sutphen. I also work for the leading vee bottom builder, Outerlimits. I have experienced all different brands and crawled around looking at rigging and construction. I would put Sutphen up there with the best of the best for a flat bottom old school boat. But to say there's no boat as good as a Cigarette is just BS!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.