Notices

New York City Powerboat Poker Run 2011

Old 05-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

heres another one:

Patriot Poker Run - New Orleans - September 2010
$175 - early registraition was discounted to $150
2 T's, Included 2 Wristbands for - breakfast (pastries), lunch (jambalay & fried chicken), dinner (buffet)
1 goodie bag (each had a Gift Certificates for approx 20-30 dollars plus) & 1 dvd
Old 05-31-2011, 02:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually after seeing both of those...500$ for this is laughable...and pretty much absurd for nothing..

I'd like to see someone justify the price...to be honest...if it were 150$ that would be more realistic....

We didn't get a dvd...that was very $...also the photos of the run were quoted to me, the pricing for those was...I'm not even getting into it...we didn't get anything...NYC I could understand the price....not Old saybrook.....

Thanks for posting those justin..

Last edited by WildThing47; 05-31-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jammin on the James(voted top 10 poker run in the country) for me last year was:

$350+ about $50 for overnight docking for 2 people which includes:
2 t-shirts
2 lunches at Smithfield Station on the James River
2 dinners at the Marriot banquet hall
DVD

You could add additional passengers for $150 each. They recieve everything but the DVD.

I have also been on les expensive and more expensive runs.

I think I paid $130 for the Sacandaga Lake(Upstate NY) run in 08. I think that only included buffet dinner for 2.

I have been on the NYC run and although the$500-$600 price tag is steep, most of you probably have no idea how much it is to rent that place out for a weekend. I'm guessing Billy actually lost a bunch of money in 09(last time it was run) due to a low turnout due to the weather, even with sponsors.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatter42
It is true, what are we really paying for, it's 400-500$ to do the same thing and go to the same places I go every week...they should include something else with the fee or at least go charity. I had to buy the DVDs and everything else which were more $ even on top of this. What am I really getting out of spending this, plus the cost of fuel, lunch....I'd rather just call a few people and run together for free, it'll cost a heck of allot less. I'll still do this years run, but they need to step it up because the pricing is well...in this economy...a-little bit much..
I have to agree with Pat on this one. That's way to much IMO if nothing is included other than a hand of cards... Especially if we're talking about OS!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2
yes they do. i have been to multiple that include all i have mentioned for the same or similar money. the poker runs america "2008 tri state run" was about the same money and included most of which i listed (didnt include accomodations or dvd). i certainly received lunch, dinner, and a t shirt. not sure what you are talking about.
PRA was more money, I helped plan the run. All the big name runs and organizaions that attract good boats usually cost you more and they are woth it. Last year was the first year for the run and I know Billy has some changes this year. His runs usually do include dinner. Last year you got dock space. Attendance was very low. You cant plan on giving away and including a bunch of items if you dont have commitment from anyone to do the run to cover expenses. Having local people attend was always a problem even for PRA. Its an event in our backyard and should support it!! If you register early its only $350. He is planning on having lunch at Montauk. The only "real" run you mentioned that is more money and should be is Jacksonville which is a great run.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
PRA was more money, I helped plan the run. All the big name runs and organizaions that attract good boats usually cost you more and they are woth it. Last year was the first year for the run and I know Billy has some changes this year. His runs usually do include dinner. Last year you got dock space. Attendance was very low. You cant plan on giving away and including a bunch of items if you dont have commitment from anyone to do the run to cover expenses. Having local people attend was always a problem even for PRA. Its an event in our backyard and should support it!! If you register early its only $350. He is planning on having lunch at Montauk. The only "real" run you mentioned that is more money and should be is Jacksonville which is a great run.
Dan
I have not done any of the runs so it is not really fair for me comment on but sell me on it what do wqe get for $350. Also I think it would be really cool if there was a big run here each year and we can make a weekend out it. What else can be done to make ther un better (this question is for everyone here)?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered

Its a shame these NE runs are not more popular!!! There are plenty of go fasts in the area and theres still poor turnouts. Maybe thats the reason for the high costs? If billy was confident that 50 boats would show, then maybe he wouldn't be afraid have lower pricing.. Its always easier to start high and go lower. Billy obv loves our sport but his time is worth something as well. Im sure if he was making tons of $$ of there runs, there would more than 2 a year!!!

Glencove includes a lunch if i am not mistaken.

NYC was a great run and hopefully it will be back soon.

We should all make an effort to support our local runs, try them out, and give the organizers (whoever that may be) feedback on how to make them better.

I am just speaking out loud and i am not taking any sides here.

I will be at the 2 runs this year and will try and get as many boats as possible to join me

Joe / Skater 50ss
Old 05-31-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered

[QUOTEIts an event in our backyard and should support it!! If you register early its only $350. [/QUOTE]

It's very simple in my opinion........although there's quite a few boats in our little area......people just feel it's too expensive for what you do/don't get. Period.

$350-$400 bucks is a lot of money for basically nothing in return. $100-$150 bucks people don't mind spending......anything higher is going to be tough to get a good turnout in today's economy. IMO.

The majority of performance boaters in this area AREN"T multi-gazilinars who can afford such high entry fees. You want more boats......lower the entry fee. Period.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
I have been on the NYC run and although the$500-$600 price tag is steep, most of you probably have no idea how much it is to rent that place out for a weekend. I'm guessing Billy actually lost a bunch of money in 09(last time it was run) due to a low turnout due to the weather, even with sponsors.
I'm guessing no one has paid to spend the night at Liberty Landing or any other marina in the local NYC area? I've stayed there a few times over the years, can't remember if it was $2 or $3 a foot which was always included in the NYC PR fee. Then try getting a transient slip for 4th of July, waiting list is a few years long.

Space has to be rented from Liberty Landing, Tents have to be rented and erected, catering has to be aranged, dockspace needs to be cleared (they literally cleared an entire dock full of paying customers) for what amounts to a 4 day weekend (Thursday - Sunday), permits to run on the Hudson on a weekend in the summertime, coordination with the USCG and NYC Police Dept etc. Bottom line, NYC isn't cheap.

But people can go to the 2 day AC poker run and pay $1200, your choice. Both are good runs by the way, I've done them both.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
real runs or not, the fact is a lot of other runs are the same price and provide a lot more tangibles (i.e. t shirts, dvd's, etc). who cares about the quality of the boats? i agree with jayfan, anything over 150-200 and people get un-interested fast. im not going to blow $350 on a poker hand plus another $500 for fuel. when all is said and done probably $1k for a day. no thanks. the LI sound isnt that good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.