Notices

Rip High Life!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Neal Simpson
Hey guys,

I'm writing a piece about Mike Spirito for the Patriot Ledger newspaper and would love to talk to anyone who new him, either in real life or through this forum. Feel free to call me at 617-786-7006 or email me at [email protected]. Thanks for your help.

- Neal Simpson

Reporter, The Patriot Ledger
Hopefully someone reaches out to Neal and gives him the real facts not the BS the other media outlets are reporting!!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent him an email basically telling him what has been said here, that Mike was a great guy, a respectful boater and he wasnt running an over Powered Testosterone rocket, but a good solid boat known for its safety in rough water. Also that he was the type of boater who cared about others within the boating community.

Hopefully others will get in touch with him as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thoughts and prayers are with both Mike and his family. May
God bless all. We are both about the same age and both have
kids about the same age too.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 AM

Default high life history

i think mike's boat was the boat i had in the late 80's it was a yellow hull twin ford/volvo set up will look for some pics. i should be able to get more info on the boat like were we got it and who we sold it to. MIKE WAS A GREAT GUY AND WILL BE MISSED
Old 07-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all, this is Nick, Mike's son checking in. I can't tell you how much all the positive support means to us right now. The pictures and stories are great, my sister Lisa and I really appreciate everything. We know he loved being on the water but it's really great to see how much of an ambassador of the culture he was.

The wake will be Friday 4-8 in Pyne Kehoane Funeral Home in Hingham, and the funeral mass is Saturday at St. Paul's Church in Hingham at 10:30.

Please keep us posted regarding any memorial runs you may be doing, and feel free to pass along any pictures and stories, my email is [email protected].
Old 07-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick (and Lisa),

I just did a huge double take when I saw the user name!!!

Your father was not only a very active member of our boating community, but he was also a very respected member as well. I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but I certainly read more than one of his helpful and enlightening posts and learned a thing or two from him as well.

He will be dearly missed, please accept our condolences for such a tragic loss...
Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HIGH LIFE
Hey all, this is Nick, Mike's son checking in. I can't tell you how much all the positive support means to us right now. The pictures and stories are great, my sister Lisa and I really appreciate everything. We know he loved being on the water but it's really great to see how much of an ambassador of the culture he was.

The wake will be Friday 4-8 in Pyne Kehoane Funeral Home in Hingham, and the funeral mass is Saturday at St. Paul's Church in Hingham at 10:30.

Please keep us posted regarding any memorial runs you may be doing, and feel free to pass along any pictures and stories, my email is [email protected].
i was just going to post this info up, my girlfriend spoke to you early today (sandra)
im going to get together with some of the boys once this all slows down and figure out something to do for his honor. i already have some good ideas.
your dad will be missed by all.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Nick I met you when you were at the SeaPort Inn run and I believe in Fall River also. Your dad was a great guy and like everyone has said will be missed. I was looking foward to seeing him again this weekend for the run. He always had a spot for some one on the boat no matter what. He always said "come on with me ill have a spot for you and if not I'll make one"
-Mike
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scalisimarine
i think mike's boat was the boat i had in the late 80's it was a yellow hull twin ford/volvo set up will look for some pics. i should be able to get more info on the boat like were we got it and who we sold it to. MIKE WAS A GREAT GUY AND WILL BE MISSED
Hi,
If we're taking about the same boat it was a 1973 yellow Magnum sedan that had a factory custom low cut windshield with a gold anodized frame, white and yellow striped upholstery and some special touches that didn't show. For one,the boat was layed up with the optional race boat construction which was lighter and stronger!!!!?? And supposedly vinyl ester resin which was rare in 1973. This race construction was normally used on Magnum Sport models that were set up for racing. The boat was originally powered with high compression 350 cu in Chevy LTI Flagship engines ( then Freeport, LI NY, now in Florida ) and Flagship sourced Volvo speedmaster style outdrives from Chris Craft. The engines and drives were shipped to Magnum while the boat was being built. Magnum sourced the props ( bronze) which were always an issue. When built the boat was probably the fastest Sedan non race boat that Magnum delivered. Don Aronow, who was building Cigarettes at the time went for a predelivery test run and supposedly was very impressed.
The boat would clean house on later Merc TRS powered Magnums and Cigarettes. Many modifications were made in the 10 years that the original owner( not me) had the boat. The boat was sold to Mark Rodgers(?) in 1983. Shortly after Rodgers(?) bought the boat we ran across him while out in a 33' Sutphen which had 400 HP 454 TRS with add on Gil manifolds and dry exhaust pipes ,an ex Herb Chambers personal boat. A little race ensued and the Yellow Magnum went right by the Sutphen. We flagged over the Magnum to talk and the owner said he hadn't put on the good props because he was still getting used to the boat! I lost contact with the boat in 1983.
If this boat became the High Life then I am really spooked because I did 10 years of cruising and some racing and the hull was never an issue! A very sad ending to the owner and a classic boat.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Beeper
Hi,
If we're taking about the same boat it was a 1973 yellow Magnum sedan that had a factory custom low cut windshield with a gold anodized frame, white and yellow striped upholstery and some special touches that didn't show. For one,the boat was layed up with the optional race boat construction which was lighter and stronger!!!!?? And supposedly vinyl ester resin which was rare in 1973. This race construction was normally used on Magnum Sport models that were set up for racing. The boat was originally powered with high compression 350 cu in Chevy LTI Flagship engines ( then Freeport, LI NY, now in Florida ) and Flagship sourced Volvo speedmaster style outdrives from Chris Craft. The engines and drives were shipped to Magnum while the boat was being built. Magnum sourced the props ( bronze) which were always an issue. When built the boat was probably the fastest Sedan non race boat that Magnum delivered. Don Aronow, who was building Cigarettes at the time went for a predelivery test run and supposedly was very impressed.
The boat would clean house on later Merc TRS powered Magnums and Cigarettes. Many modifications were made in the 10 years that the original owner( not me) had the boat. The boat was sold to Mark Rodgers(?) in 1983. Shortly after Rodgers(?) bought the boat we ran across him while out in a 33' Sutphen which had 400 HP 454 TRS with add on Gil manifolds and dry exhaust pipes ,an ex Herb Chambers personal boat. A little race ensued and the Yellow Magnum went right by the Sutphen. We flagged over the Magnum to talk and the owner said he hadn't put on the good props because he was still getting used to the boat! I lost contact with the boat in 1983.
If this boat became the High Life then I am really spooked because I did 10 years of cruising and some racing and the hull was never an issue! A very sad ending to the owner and a classic boat.
im pretty sure from what i gather from mike he got the boat with twin merc out boards on it. i want to say 225 but not 100%. thn he did the 300's with i think regular 300's before these

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.