Feeler thread--Cayuga Lake Poker Run '12 >

Feeler thread--Cayuga Lake Poker Run '12

Notices

Feeler thread--Cayuga Lake Poker Run '12

Old 12-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeler thread--Cayuga Lake Poker Run '12

I've been toying with the idea of establishing a Cayuga Lake poker run.

Nothing official, I've never planned anything on that scale, but would like the practice of organizing events. Maybe a fun run for charity or something of the sort. Something like $100-$150 a boat entry, 50% to best hand, 50% to a charity for wounded vets.

I'd like to start at the state park on the north end where there's ample parking, do a couple card stops and then lunch in Ithica on the south end, another good run up the lake for a stop and then a cookout and card draw at the park to end the day.

First off, is there any interest here in such an event?

I have no problem making calls to marinas, restaurants, and the state park service to get permission and reservations. My concern is if I try to advertise and get police involvement for safety patrols or to make a safety announcement, does it get to the point where the event needs liability insurance?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ndorfer15
I've been toying with the idea of establishing a Cayuga Lake poker run.

Nothing official, I've never planned anything on that scale, but would like the practice of organizing events. Maybe a fun run for charity or something of the sort. Something like $100-$150 a boat entry, 50% to best hand, 50% to a charity for wounded vets.

I'd like to start at the state park on the north end where there's ample parking, do a couple card stops and then lunch in Ithica on the south end, another good run up the lake for a stop and then a cookout and card draw at the park to end the day.

First off, is there any interest here in such an event?

I have no problem making calls to marinas, restaurants, and the state park service to get permission and reservations. My concern is if I try to advertise and get police involvement for safety patrols or to make a safety announcement, does it get to the point where the event needs liability insurance?
I would be interested. I'm in upstate NY and enjoy Poker Runs but do not enjoy hauling 12 hours to get there. In terms of planning the event, I would recommend the more organized the better. I've been a events which basically turn into drunken free-for-alls. There's just way too much expensive hardware out there to risk some wahoo causing an accident. The first thing I do is line up the insurance. That's always the hardest from my experience.
Good luck.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Registered

I'd give you loads of credit hauling from Lake George. Right now I'm just entertaining thoughts and notions.

Discovered Rochester Offshore powerboat Association last night, and am going to try to get hooked up with those guys.

I'd love to start a finger lakes club, but that'd be further down the road. I want to learn from others before I try to organize something like that on my own; passion is there, expirence is not.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default seneca lake powerboat

Also checkout www.senecapowerboat.com
Old 12-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Registered

Glen, Good to see someone else from Camillus. My old man had the Switzer that was for sale on Howlett Hill this summer.

I'll be sure to check those guys out, thanks

I usually play on Skaneatlas, Owasco, and around A-Bay, but wouldn't mind going farther west.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 AM
Registered

yea, keep the thread going with updates, I live in central pa and drive right past the fingerlakes to get up to A-Bay 2 or 3 times every year. I would be interested in exploring the lakes with a group
Old 01-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ndorfer15
Glen, Good to see someone else from Camillus. My old man had the Switzer that was for sale on Howlett Hill this summer.

I'll be sure to check those guys out, thanks

I usually play on Skaneatlas, Owasco, and around A-Bay, but wouldn't mind going farther west.
the ONIEDA LAKE NEW YORK SWAMP RUN mid summer.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

An event on Cayuga Lake would be great. Our home water that we have discussed organizing an event on.

One of the biggest challenges is lodging, no waterfront hotels with dockage. This would not be an issue for a one-day event and out-of-towners could stay in nearby Auburn to the east or Waterloo to the west.

Cayuga Lake offers some great boating and stops could be arranged.
Sandy Cove near Union Springs always has a big raft-up party going on with a large performance boat presence.

Our make-shift group, the "Middle Finger Lakers" would help however we could. Check out the SPBA website and be sure not to miss the Pirate's Run on next door Seneca Lake.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Registered

I would be interested should something come up
Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.senecapowerboats.com/Events.html

August 18, SPBA Cayuga Lake Fun Run.

See you there, will update details as it gets closer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.