Two speedboats in Woods Hole capsized small fishing boat >

Two speedboats in Woods Hole capsized small fishing boat

Notices

Two speedboats in Woods Hole capsized small fishing boat

Old 08-05-2016, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Grew up on performance boats and sailboats 47 years now . Their all good.

But let's say you have cut the motors off on your Chris Craft and the wife has the 1 year old on the back bench seat throwing a new diaper on it while the 2 year old is clambering around .

It's glass calm and predictable, 5 seconds later 2 boats racing blast by you at 80 plus splitting you right down the middle with 10 feet of clearance on either side. Poopy diaper boy takes a major header off the bench seat while you were trying to feel mommies mammeries.
2 year old does a face plant against the cabin door , instant Chaos, wife is losing her mind.

But hey no Biggie.

You should have heard or seen it coming.
Interesting scenario, and most certainly chaos. Where I boat (Lake Michigan) if and when I cut the engines, I'm either damned close to shore or far enough offshore to leave plenty of room for other boats. No reason for other boats to get that close to me.

I wonder if captain of the fishing boat squared to the wake and took the wake head on at speed. That seems a plausible cause for the injury that followed. If that's the case, the captain owed his passengers a warning prior to hitting the wake, but as many others have mentioned prior, it's pretty damned hard not to hear through hull exhaust . I guess "loud pipes save lives" could apply here too...

Last edited by offshore312; 08-05-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a little 18' Grady CC. Very similar to what was in the story. You can NOT sit anywhere in front of the console at more than 10 mph, or 1ft of chop.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly my first thoughts.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
2 boats racing blast by you at 80 plus splitting you right down the middle with 10 feet of clearance on either side
I don't know that I've ever seen two boats going 80+ with only 20 feet between them....and I've certainly never seen someone pass a boat not under power at 10 feet away...much less at 80 plus.

10 feet? TEN FEET. Come on.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 590 Likes on 240 Posts

Sounds like Old Dad didn't have the common sense to slow down for a approaching wake.

But I got my eyes wide open for a red boat a blue boat and a white boat down here in Florida.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

They must have gotten scared and came to ohio becouse I seen two go fast boats one with blue and one with red
Old 08-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

For those of you that have gone through woods hole you know how crazy it can be going through there! The fast ferry out of new bedford Flys through there at 35mph and throws a huge wake and you add a few sportfish wakes it's like a tidal wave! That reality is if the speed boats slowed down it would of been worse !! Just off plane and making a huge wake!! I'm sure it was 2 speed boats and 6 other boats going and coming thru the channel but being bright,flashy,and loud guess who's to blame!! An 18ft boat in woodshole hole your asking for trouble and it's that simple.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ30
For those of you that have gone through woods hole you know how crazy it can be going through there! The fast ferry out of new bedford Flys through there at 35mph and throws a huge wake and you add a few sportfish wakes it's like a tidal wave! That reality is if the speed boats slowed down it would of been worse !! Just off plane and making a huge wake!! I'm sure it was 2 speed boats and 6 other boats going and coming thru the channel but being bright,flashy,and loud guess who's to blame!! An 18ft boat in woodshole hole your asking for trouble and it's that simple.
And that's the problem with these types of reports! How come no one is questioning what they were doing out in a boat like that in conditions like that! It's automatically assumed it was the two boats racing!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts